Keeping olds stock

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Am I the only one of my friends who thinks that keeping a 307 in an olds that happens to be unmolested in any other way is a cool thing?
Bud of mine wants to rebuild his 307 instead of putting more cu.in. under the hood. I tell him it's his car and he should have it the way he wants but others are bugging the heck out of him because he wants to keep the car #'s matching. What is so wrong with that? He drives the speed limit everywhere so there is no need for big HP.
Just thought I'd post this to see if my bud and I are alone on this OR our friends are right and it's a waste of time.
thanks for any and all replies. 🙂

if he plans on keeping it stock, theres nothing wrong with that. people like me who cant leave anything alone or stock have a hard time doing that or accepting people who do, do that. what some people who are alot smarter than me do is remove the org motor/trans/rear/whatever and keep it stored away and then put the gofast parts in. when they want to sell it or get rid of it thhey swap the org. stuff back in to keep it org. ill tell ya what tho if he keeps it stock and in really good condition, take it to barret jackson in like 10-20 years and get a mint for it. :lol:

I am all for leaving an Olds engine in an Oldsmobile. If my Cutlass would have came with a 307 rather than the buick v6 I would have never put my 455 Olds in it. My 455 is stock besides a performer cam and carb. Anyways, I would say rebuild the 307 and get many years of enjoyment out of driving such a great automobile.......however they are fun with a big block in them.

I would prep the 307 block and build it well and run it as it is.... I put a 307 in my 84 back in the early 200 era and when I sold it the guy who bought it wouldnt drive it, was scared cause it would bark 2nd gear and get a bit squeirly. (sp) But is was a basic stock engine with a some factory bolt ones. My 82 now has a 350 but its only got an RV cam in it..... I like the stock idea and my 73 Cutlass has a stock looking 425 and it always catch's peoples eye as original, but it isnt. But if I had a BBO I would drop it in as My Cutlass's dont see much more than 500 miles a year....

My lucky day...I think. Buddy got into some finacial probs and had to sell car. Guess who had first dibs?? Not bad for $1000,eh/nay? Now I have to get it on the road before wife starts complaining about another car!lol What ya think? May just keep the 307 and rebuild it later this year. I'll post any new developments.
Oh ya,didn't know how to put pictures into a post so they are added as new pictures on forum.

Get a 350 or 403 for more fun. The 85-88 307 had tiny intake ports. A 73-76 Olds 350 just needs a better cam, flat top pistons and headers. That alone makes a stout engine. My 403 has a lot torque which is also fun.

The way I look at it if car has more than 80000 it will never be a gem most wanted car for most people . Its your car and if it takes bigger motor to make you happy go for it .

I have ran several 307's G body over the years . And had allot of fun beating stock camaros in the early 90's . And even news stuff. With right gears they r fun .

But if need rebuild throw it in corner . Olds 350 403 455 r still common /cheap if buy whole car.

MR442 said:
The way I look at it if car has more than 80000 it will never be a gem most wanted car for most people . Its your car and if it takes bigger motor to make you happy go for it .

I have ran several 307's G body over the years . And had allot of fun beating stock camaros in the early 90's . And even news stuff. With right gears they r fun .

But if need rebuild throw it in corner . Olds 350 403 455 r still common /cheap if buy whole car.

What would you say would be "right gears"?

My son told a friend of his about my buying the cutlass. Damn if the guy didn't show up at my door with $2,000!! I really wasn't into fixing up any car at this time so off it went. Going to buy a new set of downriggers for my boat. 🙂
I do want to thank all for your replies. I'm much better off putting money into fishing than a car.

Take care and have fun this summer. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor