Kid needs to start hitting the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
OK, so this just happend over the weekend;

I asked my friends 13 yr old son what president was on the $1 bill and he didn't even know. Our visiting friend from England even knew this. He was then given the biggest/best hint you could get; 'he was the very first president of the United States'. After having pondered upon this for a bit he gave me his answer; 'Is it James Dean?'. James freakin Dean? Yeah, I loved him in 'President Without a Cause'. I'm sorry to say but my friends kid is a moron. Is this sort of 'general stupidity' more prevalent today than in years past or is it just me? There are just some things that everyone should just know, but it seems more and more people today never seem to acquire these 'must know' facts.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
bet he knows the names of every single person on duck dynasty or whatever that junk is....

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Consider it a reflection of the public education system at large in this country. Long gone are the days when you failed a class or a test and got an F. Now you get a U for this. WTF is that? Well it seems in an effort to keep johnny from feeling bad about failing, they changed the letter to make him feel better about being an idiot. Of course it helps when the child actually wants to learn something and since they don't really put much of an emphasis on learning as much as they do about not feeling bad not knowing even the most basic things like geography, state capitals, the three branches of government (can YOU name them?), etc, you're going to wind up with a country full of morons. This country was once the envy of the world, now sadly, it is the joke of the world.

When we allow teacher unions to protect ineffective teachers from losing their jobs, when we stop looking at ourselves to teach our children first (Education begins at home, NOT the classroom. A lot of parents would do well to learn that) and when we put zero emphasis on learning just so johnny doesn't feel bad about failing a test/class/grade(s) what we end up with is what we have now. You're suppose to feel bad you failed, that means you should try harder, not give up. You're suppose to raise standards, not make the curriculum easier. Our children b*tch about the days they go to school, which is a lot less than other countries who are kicking our kids' asses at every subject we once dominated.

There are a lot of people with their hand in the cookie jar but refuse to take responsibility for their role in the dumbing down of this country.

Remember folks, THESE are the simple minded people that will be taking care of you as you lie in a bed in a nursing home as you sh*t and piss yourself. If that scares you, and it should, then do something to reverse this trend. Next time your child b*tches about homework ask them if they want to learn the phrase "Would you like fries with that?" or "You're fired. You can't even operate a frier." Demand more for them and yourself at the same time, expect them to learn something, even if you have to teach it to them yourself.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Double V,
Not to highjack or understate this extremely relevant thread , but you do mean "Rebel without a cause". :lol:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Longroof79 said:
Double V,
Not to highjack or understate this extremely relevant thread , but you do mean "Rebel without a cause". :lol:

No, it was a joke. I mixed 'General George Washington' with James Dean's 'Rebel Without a Cause'. I guess I could change it to 'President Without a Cause'. I thought it sounded better than 'East of Washington'. :wink:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
DoubleV said:
Longroof79 said:
Double V,

No, it was a joke. I mixed 'General George Washington' with James Dean's 'Rebel Without a Cause'. I guess I could change it to 'President Without a Cause'. I thought it sounded better than 'East of Washington'. :wink:
Oh, okay. Sorry about that. It went right over my head... :oops: :lol: I guess I should taken a hint by the dubious title in parenthesis.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
Consider it a reflection of the public education system at large in this country. Long gone are the days when you failed a class or a test and got an F. Now you get a U for this. WTF is that? Well it seems in an effort to keep johnny from feeling bad about failing, they changed the letter to make him feel better about being an idiot. Of course it helps when the child actually wants to learn something and since they don't really put much of an emphasis on learning as much as they do about not feeling bad not knowing even the most basic things like geography, state capitals, the three branches of government (can YOU name them?), etc, you're going to wind up with a country full of morons. This country was once the envy of the world, now sadly, it is the joke of the world.

When we allow teacher unions to protect ineffective teachers from losing their jobs, when we stop looking at ourselves to teach our children first (Education begins at home, NOT the classroom. A lot of parents would do well to learn that) and when we put zero emphasis on learning just so johnny doesn't feel bad about failing a test/class/grade(s) what we end up with is what we have now. You're suppose to feel bad you failed, that means you should try harder, not give up. You're suppose to raise standards, not make the curriculum easier. Our children b*tch about the days they go to school, which is a lot less than other countries who are kicking our kids' asses at every subject we once dominated.

There are a lot of people with their hand in the cookie jar but refuse to take responsibility for their role in the dumbing down of this country.

Remember folks, THESE are the simple minded people that will be taking care of you as you lie in a bed in a nursing home as you sh*t and piss yourself. If that scares you, and it should, then do something to reverse this trend. Next time your child b*tches about homework ask them if they want to learn the phrase "Would you like fries with that?" or "You're fired. You can't even operate a frier." Demand more for them and yourself at the same time, expect them to learn something, even if you have to teach it to them yourself.
Get this guy a beer :notworthy:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
...someone say beer? :mrgreen:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Sadly we are moving more into a state of "Idiocracy" every year. I'm not one to be a grammar or spelling nazi as I do make my own mistakes, but every time a certain co worker brings me up a repair order for part price/availability I want to break out the red pen and rip him a new one. Basic, elementary spelling has flown out the window, it's sickening to think some of today's high school graduates can't even spell the phrase "front brake rotors" with out making an error in each word.

Though thinking back when I was in OC ED, 13 years ago, they made us take an English class because the OC ED board felt we weren't fluent enough in our written tickets, (kind of like a job card explaining what you did during the day, that was filled out at the end of class), we were instructed to write a full page describing our class time for homework. I took it as a joke, wrote a 3 page argumentative essay directed at the board of education expressing my opinion of their new secondary English class, the redundancy of their idea, backed up my thoughts with references to the work I had done in high school, and the desire to escape the desk to learn something new. The essay was a hit with my OC ED teacher, but when it was shown to the board, it didn't go over so well, they wanted to suspend me for insubordination (lucky for me, he had my back on that one, lol). I later found out, out of 20 kids in my class, I was one of 5, that were actually literate, at what I would consider an elementary school level. I can only imagine it's gotten worse since then. :shock:

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
how will our economy ever recover when this new generation of dumbasses who wear crocks b/c they can't even tie shoe laces are getting seats with the board of trade and infiltrating the NYSE / CME & board of trade? If things continue on this path we won't have to worry about a war with China because they will cause us to self implode by undermining our entire economy through stock market games - oh wait they already are doing that :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor