Not open for further replies.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
i work at autozone lol
the only things i know are sbc's and big blocks
if i want to look up a part for a 350 i know what vehicle to look up
so when someone walks in and wants something dumb for a lawn mower or a fart can im get a little lost
the parts look up system we have is very direct and specific the only reason it is that way is because selling customers the wrong part is the easiest way to lose that customer
so when you walk in needing something for your 350 or 383 or ever 455 and nobody knows what the hell to look for sometimes it isnt because we dont know what the hell your talking about its because the system doesnt and we need to be able to find the part for you and if we don't know what to look for we cant get a part number there for we cant find it

granted ive only been working there for 5 days im trying my hardest not to be just another counter jockey
but guys you have to understand you cant expect to walk into a parts store like autozone and expect the "red shirts" or even the "grey shirts" to know everything there is no qualification needed to get the job you don't have to be an expert on cars you have to be an expert on sales

after only 5 days of working for autozone i have come to the conclusion that there is alot that you need to know when working for autozone it isnt all about the the computer system you have to know the ins and outs of every single part and its place and purpose im learning so give me a break and next time you walk into autozone dont expect the guy standing at the counter to know everything just go over what your looking for with the employee and help us help you

LGhost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2010
Good point, I rather have the know how guys actually doing something with their knowledge rather than selling parts.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Mikes83ss said:
Ya i've had that problem with little johnny.Its a 350 and no johnny I don't know what it came out of cause I got it from a junkyard.Especially if that parts missing and you don't have a sample now your totally ****ed cause little johnny only knows lawnmowers and fart cans and things that have liters and not cubic inches.lol

Not to throw gas on a fire....but after working in this business for 4 years, I am pretty convinced that more often than not, the person looking to buy parts knows less about what they are working on than the person looking for the part on the computer. If I had a dime for every part that I pulled for a person who returned it later because what I supposedly sold them was wrong, only to find out later they had given me the wrong year, wrong engine, or even the wrong car, well Id be loaded with dimes! Many people think that because they can turn a wrench or install a brake pad, that they are now ASE mechanics, when really they are just part swappers. Sadly, other people trust their opinion and even pay them to work on their cars, only to regret it later.

Bottom line is, there are few qualified mechanics and lots of shade tree part swappers.....and there are few qualified parts counter people...and lots of half wits running the computer. Just try to keep that in mind everytime you enter a parts store.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
supkylesup said:
i work at autozone lol
the only things i know are sbc's and big blocks
if i want to look up a part for a 350 i know what vehicle to look up
so when someone walks in and wants something dumb for a lawn mower or a fart can im get a little lost
the parts look up system we have is very direct and specific the only reason it is that way is because selling customers the wrong part is the easiest way to lose that customer
so when you walk in needing something for your 350 or 383 or ever 455 and nobody knows what the hell to look for sometimes it isnt because we dont know what the hell your talking about its because the system doesnt and we need to be able to find the part for you and if we don't know what to look for we cant get a part number there for we cant find it

granted ive only been working there for 5 days im trying my hardest not to be just another counter jockey
but guys you have to understand you cant expect to walk into a parts store like autozone and expect the "red shirts" or even the "grey shirts" to know everything there is no qualification needed to get the job you don't have to be an expert on cars you have to be an expert on sales

after only 5 days of working for autozone i have come to the conclusion that there is alot that you need to know when working for autozone it isnt all about the the computer system you have to know the ins and outs of every single part and its place and purpose im learning so give me a break and next time you walk into autozone dont expect the guy standing at the counter to know everything just go over what your looking for with the employee and help us help you

Welcome to the Zone bud....my advice for newbies in this business is ... be a sponge. Find the most knowledgable person in that store and learn from them. Read as much as you can about Fuel Systems, Ignition systems, etc....and plan to take the ASE parts counter test. Never be afraid or embarrased to admit you dont know the answer to a question. Better to admit that you dont know than to guide someone in the wrong direction. If you ever need any help...send me a pm!
Bill/ CSM 2413

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
bill said:
Welcome to the Zone bud....my advice for newbies in this business is ... be a sponge. Find the most knowledgable person in that store and learn from them. Read as much as you can about Fuel Systems, Ignition systems, etc....and plan to take the ASE parts counter test. Never be afraid or embarrased to admit you dont know the answer to a question. Better to admit that you dont know than to guide someone in the wrong direction. If you ever need any help...send me a pm!
Bill/ CSM 2413

thanks for the advice bill much appreciated
ive actually learned alot for the short time ive been here
and the great thing is i love it
i hate to leave work even when my shift is over i dont want to leave and i let it be known
therefore my manage who i have been sponging off of has been giving me so many hours lately and i love it
ive become a better salesperson also
and my manager/teacher has taken me under is wing
hes a pretty cool guy with alot of knowledge
and trust me if i dont know the answer to a question i always ask him or one of the other "grey shirts"
theres nothing more embarrassing than giving the wrong information to someone and them coming back later all pissed off because i didnt know what i was talking about
but i love the company great work place and great people and i plan on staying put with this job for a while hopefully with alot of advancements

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Sounds great....wish I had started in this business at a younger age. Looks like you're in good hands. Great parts people do more than just sell parts....they help people solve problems and keep them on the road and that is a great feeling everytime!

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I have learned something about parts stores, sometimes they do get it right sometimes they just come up with "thats a dealer item" . :shock: So here's a thought and what I acually do on a regular basis... :p Autozone , Advanced Auto ,and Napa all have web sites where you can look up parts yourself, try it. I have on more than 1 ocasion asked for a part and got the "we dont carry that" or the "dealer crap", and simply said with out being a dick (cause I know I'm gonna end up back there again for something) while I'm here could I have this part ... and hand them the part #. :rofl: .. So far only 1 person caught on to what had just happend, but I kept my mouth shut ... :evil: ....(my tonge hurt for a week)

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
bill said:
Not to throw gas on a fire....but after working in this business for 4 years, I am pretty convinced that more often than not, the person looking to buy parts knows less about what they are working on than the person looking for the part on the computer. If I had a dime for every part that I pulled for a person who returned it later because what I supposedly sold them was wrong, only to find out later they had given me the wrong year, wrong engine, or even the wrong car, well Id be loaded with dimes! Many people think that because they can turn a wrench or install a brake pad, that they are now ASE mechanics, when really they are just part swappers. Sadly, other people trust their opinion and even pay them to work on their cars, only to regret it later.

Bottom line is, there are few qualified mechanics and lots of shade tree part swappers.....and there are few qualified parts counter people...and lots of half wits running the computer. Just try to keep that in mind everytime you enter a parts store.

Agreed, I have been in the parts end for about ten years now, started off in retail (advance auto), now at a chevy dealer, my biggest gripe is that people don't what they have or want. The worst was when someone would come up to the counter and ask for parts for a "350" :blam: . It was by far the most annoying type because they never wanted to give any info other than "they are all the same". I got fed up dealing with these types so my response became "Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Chrysler?" Then they'd get pissed and ask to speak to someone that knew what they were doing. So I'd direct them to my manager, more often than not, my manager would then ask me questions on what to look up and which years has what :lol: . Parts people ask dumb questions because we are used to dealing with dumb people (when it comes to automotive knowledge), we do it so we can attempt to get said person what they need the first time, because we don't want to deal with them pissed off they got the wrong item.
Nowadays, I simply ask for the VIN, it saves me from sorting through 25-50 pages of things that don't pretain to that vehicle. My computer catalog is like a book, everything on that platform is included, for example, if I look up a tahoe, I have to sort through Silverado 15-3500, Sierra, escalade, yukon, avalanche, and suburban pages. I can filter vehicles out, but catalog accuracy suffers, time wise, having the VIN will take most of the human error out, and limit the dumb questions. On the other end, many parts people do not know how to properly use their catalog, which I encountered the other day, while trying to buy a differential cover gasket :lol: . It happens.......

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
I never meant to step on anyone's toes here guys. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people at some parts stores. And you are very much appreciated and unfortunately probably underpaid as well. A good example of the kind I am talking about is one time I did everything I could to avoid getting into an argument over an air filter. I was needing a paper element for what I thought was a pretty standard 14" round 3" high air filter. You know, the ones that fit almost any and every aftermarket chrome air breather assembly. the ones that are available everywhere from Wal-Mart, Summit, or any local auto parts store. Was I asking for too much??
I had a trailer one time with surge brakes on it and needed a master cylinder for it. I had no idea what to even ask for or begin looking for when it came time to replace it. So, I took it off and headed to the local Napa store and laid it on the counter and told them what it had came off of, right away the guy behind the counter says.... " oh yeah, that's just a standard old so and so master cylinder". He said he'd have to order it and it would be in the next day. I know we pay a little more at Napa sometimes but sometimes it's WELL WORTH IT.
I also frequent the local parts stores enough to know which ones to talk to behind the counter and which ones to avoid....LOL
And for those worth dealing with.... THANKS for your service!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor