KYB Excel-G or KYB Gas Adjust, which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A set of bottom rung cheap shocks is $75-80 and I've always felt spending the extra $25 is 100% with it to get the kybs. My thought has always been if I'm spending $400 because I care that much about shock quality I can spend a more and get the best. My brain has always thought the difference between $100 and $400 is x4 and $400 to $800 is only x2, but just food for thought
For me the Bilsteins are more than adequate and since my Regal is more of a budget build and daily driver car I really thought the $300 I spent on them a couple years ago was too much money but I am happy with them, I wouldn't have even considered spending $600+ for a set of shocks, but I get what you are saying and agree to a point but it does depend on your budget and the car they are going on IMO.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I remember the Gas-Adjusts having enough pressure in them to lift my wagon by maybe 1/4".

That's another good point

I had 5401 moog rear springs in my 2+2 with kyb's and the ride height was great.

I put Vikings in and it lowered the car 1/2, I actually had to swap to 5409's to get the ride height good.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the thing people forget(or ignore) is that the shocks are the brains of the whole operation.springs,bars bushings etc are all as dumb as dirt.they're along for the ride.you're paying for the valving/technology to make the ride just so.some kyb's are(?)a step over stock but most folks asking these type of questions are upgrading from stock/blown out units.so anything will be an upgrade from those poor man's drag shocks..spend as much as you're comfortable with on shocks knowing they're GC on the job.sure yellow/blue isn't for everyone but everyone paints things flat black if they don't care for the color so why give up on ride quality because of the color of the shocks exterior?.i can see bagging out on purchasing a ride because of it's overall color but..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My own personal vote is for the KYB Gas -Adjusts, the 5548's on the back and the matching front ones. Locally, the set of four,with taxes being added on, of course, will bite me about 2 bills. My M/C has the S/S springs in the back and LS springs in the front, along with Hotchkiss rear uppers and lowers and a UMI cross brace. The KYB's are about as much shock as I want the car to have. This is not a ride that will be drifted or raced so while a good ride is valuable, excess stiffness is not; (At least that's what she said.......)

Nick

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I can't even compress the KYBs by hand. I have to use a jack to compress them.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
i just purchased a pair Bilstein rear shock for my cutlass i have not install them yet. im hoping it solve my problem of how rough it ride. if doesn't I'm replacing the springs next

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Another thing not mention yet is the quality. While some shocks will be better than the old sh*t they are replacing. Bilsteins seem to perform well even after years of use.
I have an 08 Allure Super with OEM equipped Bilsteins. They are still super stiff and control the wheel/body.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I can't even compress the KYBs by hand. I have to use a jack to compress them.
One of the things I don't get about them.... Why is the pressure so high? I mean the Bilsteins are not easy to compress either but they're easy compared to KYB Gas-A-Justs.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The only reason shocks extend is the difference in piston area. If a shock has a 2" piston and a 1" rod. The piston is essentially only 1" on the extending side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor