Landau Top Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuBrandon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Saint Charles, Missouri
Hey Guys. thinking of removing the landau top from my 79 Malibu before painting it. Ive read a thread or 2 on the subject, and have a few questions. First off, do I need the side window trim from a standard top car, or just the rear window trim? Secondly, how much work is it "really" lol. For someone with the right tools etc. May have the painter do it all at once if its too big of a job for me (I'm in a wheelchair, so I know Ill need help with the hard to reach stuff regardless). Thanks for your help/advice!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, the easy answer is you need the rubber seals from a hard top car, they spread further away from the glass.

In theory you could super urethane the heck out of it and probably get by without landau seals leaking, but it wouldnt look as correct either if you saw part of an edge..

As far as work, well, there's no telling.

Easiest is if the car had a landau installed at the dealer or in later years. Then it's just remove, sand adhesive off, change trim, grind off studs and finish the holes, paint and be happy.

On an original landau from the factory, well, they didn't spend the effort finishing the seams for roof and quarter, so, expect several hours doing that job right.

And if any rust started underneath.... well... no telling and no end to the woes you might have

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor