Left Leg Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Learned on my dads Wheelhorse lawn tractor that if you only pushed the clutch pedal part way down, you could disengage the clutch and not activate the brake. Meaning you could shift thru the gears. I was probably 11 or so. Fast forward a few years to 16, I taught myself on my friends Chevette. A few months later my dad decided to teach me how to drive stick in his '68 Corvette. He quickly realized I knew what I was doing when I redlined it and caught rubber in 2nd and kept going. He never let me drive that car again. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Clutches are for kids. If you need it, then you haven't lived driving a standard lol.

Old man taught (force taught) me the day I got my permit on the way home from the DMV in F100 with a 3 on the tree. Learned to drive big truck in a Mack with a duplex (two stick) and figured it out then that the clutch was for not having to start in gear while cranking the starter. Once drove a Mack with 3 sticks, called a triplex by some, that had an auxiliary box on an auxiliary box. 4 on a 5 with a Mack in a Mack, Eaton/Fuller's 4 on a 5 in Diamond Reo's....blah blah blah. Prefer a Fuller with 5 gears in DR (15 speed).

Unfortunately been driving a truck(s) out of necessity for over 30 years, yet never been a truck driver - go figure.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Clutches are for kids. If you need it, then you haven't lived driving a standard lol.

Old man taught (force taught) me the day I got my permit on the way home from the DMV in F100 with a 3 on the tree. Learned to drive big truck in a Mack with a duplex (two stick) and figured it out then that the clutch was for not having to start in gear while cranking the starter. Once drove a Mack with 3 sticks, called a triplex by some, that had an auxiliary box on an auxiliary box. 4 on a 5 with a Mack in a Mack, Eaton/Fuller's 4 on a 5 in Diamond Reo's....blah blah blah. Prefer a Fuller with 5 gears in DR (15 speed).

Unfortunately been driving a truck(s) out of necessity for over 30 years, yet never been a truck driver - go figure.

I'm not cool enough to have driven multiple sticks, but I did drive my dad's 18 wheeler years ago, was a 13 speed. Bobtailing on familiar roads is one thing, I was definitely ******** my pants when I took it on the road with a full load. I could see it being easy enough to get used to though, I had sort of a similar feeling when I got my enclosed trailer. A trip to OK cured me real quick.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

I borrowed a truck from a friend once to pull a trailer and the hydraulic clutch failed (found that out later). Made it almost 250 miles by letting off the gas and down shifting while the motor slowed down, but had to give up when noticed I was headed for a toll both. Made it to within 15 miles of home. I was happy to help with fixing that one. Throwout bearing failed.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You could start a whole nother thread called "Crazy stuff that happened driving a stick". Myself, I was in Basic Training and they asked if anyone could drive a stick. Me and a guy from Corona stepped up and they led us to a 5 ton I-H commercial truck. He drove like he was in NYC traffic and they rejected him. I was scared to death and drove like it was the old man's car. I got the license and drove out to the ranges while everyone else marched. :mrgreen:

• Winner

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You could start a whole nother thread called "Crazy stuff that happened driving a stick". Myself, I was in Basic Training and they asked if anyone could drive a stick. Me and a guy from Corona stepped up and they led us to a 5 ton I-H commercial truck. He drove like he was in NYC traffic and they rejected him. I was scared to death and drove like it was the old man's car. I got the license and drove out to the ranges while everyone else marched. :mrgreen:

Yeah that would never fly today. Did you at least rub it in their faces?

• Haha

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
When I worked at the dealership, had a customer call and say his clutch pedal in his truck is literally on the floor and he needs it towed. This was a good customer, and only lived about two miles away. I had someone drop me off and I drove it back to the dealership by starting it in gear and rev matching the shifts. Technicians were amazed and had no idea you could do that. SMDH Mind you, I was the same age as them, mid thirties or so...

Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
When I worked at the dealership, had a customer call and say his clutch pedal in his truck is literally on the floor and he needs it towed. This was a good customer, and only lived about two miles away. I had someone drop me off and I drove it back to the dealership by starting it in gear and rev matching the shifts. Technicians were amazed and had no idea you could do that. SMDH Mind you, I was the same age as them, mid thirties or so...

I had a similar occurrence when I was stationed in Okinawa. A friend's clutch pedal did just that and he was blown away when I suggested starting it in gear and rev matching. I ended up being the one to drive it to the auto hobby shop on base to perform the repair. Must be people who didn't have the opportunity to grow up around junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor