Left Leg Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Working for my Uncle on the farm I was driving 16 speed power shift (essentially manual valve body auto) when I was 11 or 12 and quad-range stuff when I was 13 or so. No clutch unless you are stopped and stuff is synchronized so it's not really manual.

First real manual was a fuller 13 speed DT466 powered s1900 IH grain truck.

First car was some manual Jetta I had to drive in college for my room mates friend. I couldn't understand why I kept killing it and then I realized the next day I was used to 45,000 lb trucks with 600 ftlbs.

1601913318918.png

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So, I gotta ask.
How many of you guys have gotten in that "new to you" auto pickup and as you leave the driveway your left foot goes to floor and your right hand is pawing the air for a shifter that isn't there??:wtf:
My son looks over at me and sez " dad, you sold that one, remember??"

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
my son's oversize St Bernard pup is training to raise his left leg when he is taking a P......... :popcorn:

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So, I gotta ask.
How many of you guys have gotten in that "new to you" auto pickup and as you leave the driveway your left foot goes to floor and your right hand is pawing the air for a shifter that isn't there??:wtf:
My son looks over at me and sez " dad, you sold that one, remember??"

I've done that, and reached for ebrakes that aren't where I'm reaching.

Geezer gone wild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2020
Tobaccoville, NC
I'm going to reply with a different take on this. I started mowing yards at 9 yrs old and always fascinated with clutches and transmissions on the mowers. Many folks in my family still had cars with sticks. While riding in their cars, I would watch them like a hawk working the clutch and shifting. By the time I was 14, I would worry the crap out of my older friends that had cars with sticks to let me drive in a parking lot or wherever. My Dad bought a used VW Beetle for a 2nd car when I was 16, at 19 I bought a used 4 speed Camaro. When I was 21 my Grandad calls me, says he bought a new Ford truck with a 4 speed, 6 ply tires, etc. and needed me to go with him to the dealership to pick it up. Grandad was born in 1908 in the mountains of North Carolina and worked as a foreman in a tobacco factory. I'm sure he had driven all sorts of vehicles over the years. So he picks me up and we go to get his truck. He tells me to drive it home. I wondered why I would drive it first but didn't question him. In my mind I'm expecting a Bigfoot type Ford truck. Upon arrival he points to this little red Ford Courier pickup (well, it did have a 4 speed and 6 ply tires). So we get back to his house and he says "let's go for a ride". He stalls it a couple of times but we get going down the street and he goes for 2nd but misses and gets 4th and at this point I learn that he has not driven this truck or anything with a clutch for maybe 30 yrs. Little truck bucks and shudders but picks up speed. By the time we get back, he has missed a few gears but is getting the feel of it. Bless his heart, he didn't want the folks at the dealership to see he was just a little rusty with that stick. Of course, after a few days and more miles he was shifting like C. W. McCall going down Wolf Creek Pass.

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
How many of you have pressed that phantom clutch pedal in your auto vehicles?

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
How many of you have pressed that phantom clutch pedal in your auto vehicles?
Haven't owned anything stick (except tractor) for a decade or so, but the column shift/floor shift difference in my 2 dailies ( i drive one for a couple weeks, then swap) has gotten me a few times

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always get confused going from my GP to the Jeep or vise versa.....wipers are on the opposite side of the column as well... :unsure:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
And let's not forget pulling up to the gas pump and getting the fill side wrong........................................ :doh:

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor