LG4 upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2007
Hey there I recently picked up an 84 regal sedan with the LG4 305ci, Was just wondering if theres any simple mods out there to pick up the performance a tad. Not looking for a drag car here just something to give it a little more "go".
Another question I had is it seems to die out if you get on the throttle hard, possible causes?
Thanks

intake...headers and exhaust will make a nice difference. and will swap onto a 350 no problems if you decide to go that route later. any cam thats good for a 305 probably wont be ideal for a bigger motor though. also look into a set of gears, theres a very good chance that it has the granny gears 2.xx ratio and tossing 3.42s or something like that will make a big difference in acceleration.

Start out with an exhaust, 3 in catalytic converter and headers. You want them to be for a G code Monte SS and not for the H code LG4 as the LG4 uses a much smaller catalytic converter than the L69 HO 305 engine. If you don't want headers, look for a TPI 350 F body and get the exhaust manifolds off of it. They have a 2.25 in outlet as opposed to the 1 7/8 in outlet of a 305 car. Combine these with a MCSS Y pipe into the catalyst. Look around for a used Edelbrock Performer intake or even a Professional Products, Wieand, Holley, Offenhauser, etc. dual plane intake with provisions for the Quadrajet and the EGR valve. The L69 Camaro air filter base is also a good mod as it uses 2 inlets, each of which is larger than the single inlet of an LG4. You will need to bend the A/C lines slightly to use it, but it is worth it-especially if you can fab up a cold air package. As for a cam, stay between 216 and 220 degrees duration at .050 with a lobe seperation angle of more than 110 degrees-114 being about optimal. If yo do manage to find an HO 305 (Camaro Z-28 optional, MCSS standard), try to get the heads off of it as they are the best factory 305 heads. Also, Gearing will make a huge difference. A complete 3.23 rear axle off a high altitude V6 car can usually be picked up for less than $100 and will wake the car up more than anything else. It only takes around an hour or 2 to change it including rebuilding the brakes. Depending on the transmission yor car came with, you likely have either a 2.56 or 2.29 ratio. Those are ideal if you like salt flats racing, but useless with anything else!

The dieing out on the throttle is likely either an ignition timing problem, low fuel pressure or an improperly functioning carb. The first hing to check is the fuel filter, located in the fuel inlet of the carburetor. You will need a 5/8 line wrench and a 1 in open end wrench to get to it. Start by loosening the fuel line and removing it, then remove the filter housing. It should be in there with a spring. Observe the placement of the spring in relation to the filter and reassemble it the same way it came out.

I've noticed an ongoing theme in 85 cutlass's posts. Maybe it comes from living in Florida, I dunno, but he seems very concerned with stock emissions controls. In my opinion, to gain performance on any carb v8, the first thing to do is dump the catalytic converter. Run true duals. Don't worry about an EGR valve, just get rid of it . An open air cleaner will provide a lot more flow than any snorkel setup. Once again, don't worry about PCV, just use a breather.

Cam, head and gearing advice sounds good though.

We have no inspections of any kind in Florida since Jeb Bush so wonderfully did away with them his first month in office ( happiness is a real Republican governor- not Scwartzeneggar!). However, my posts are made in recognition that this is not the case in many municipalities around this and other countries. I do not have all the smog crap on my car for this reason, but still own all the 305 stuff in case it ever becomes necessary ( New Gov. Crist is an environmentalist wacko). I do still have the cat because at 3 inches, it is not much of a restriction. I also have a stock style air cleaner housing, but it is a low restriction piece off a L69 Camaro. Not all of the stock smog equipment is a major hindrance to performance at a basic level, most of that comes from the basic hardware GM put in the long block, the pea shooter exhaust or the land speed racer gearing. You can run 13's with the CCC Computer setup, proper gearing, good heads an intake, a chip and a well chosen cam with a 305. 14's are even easier. The L69 HO 305 stuff is better because of the higher compression, 350 cam, mildly better heads, bigger cat, bigger Y pipe, 3.73 gears, and free flowing air filter ( Camaro only). In fact, the air filter is the biggest difference between the 180hp rated MCSS and the 190hp rated Camaro. The L69 can probably run 14's (Camaro) with a chip and an intake manifold.

I agree with performance mods being possible with stock emissions, and that they aren't the biggest restriction on common 80's motors.

What I am saying is that you will gain more HP for less money and be farther ahead than the next guy if you get rid of them.

I read an article in one of the performance magazines once about building a 305 to max performance on a budget. They made 375 horse with just heads, cam, intake, carb and exhaust. That was starting with an LG4. It cost them $1500. None of that would be possible with emissions controls in place.

That may be true, but in Ontario at least, vehicle owners are still subject to roadside inspections by the Ministry of the Environment. I know several people who've been caught without the proper emission control equipment on their vehicles.

I live in Ontario. From what I understood, if your car is emissions exempt (1987 or older) it doesn't need any emissions equipment or an emissions test. I've never heard of anyone being pulled over by the ministry of the environment. The ministry of transportation does checks (mostly on trucks), but they only look for safety infractions, not emissions.

I do live in a rural area though, and maybe things are different in the city. To tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever seen a ministry of the environment car around here.

Any vehicle in Ontario that had any type of emission equipment as original equipment, regardless of year, must have that emission equipment in place and functional in order to comply with Ontario Ministry of Environment regulations. The Ministry does do periodic roadside inspections. As I said before, I know several people that have been caught without the proper emission equipment. The Ministry may not do many inspections in rural areas, but they are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor