Lightning rod price

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblazer1500

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
Altoona, PA.
What would a good set of lightning rods go for if I find some for sale?

Would like to get a set of the repos that have been talked about on other threads but seems that process has stalled...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
How important is keeping original looking shifters to ya? I was in the same boat 2 years ago. I got tired of waiting and refused to pay $400+ for 30 year old shifters so I bought the Kilduff shifters. I highly recommend them. They are by far built better than the Hurst shifters.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Talk to 88Hurstolds. I think he has a set available. I would go with the factory Hurst Lightning Rods because they were factory Oldsmobile parts designed to fit the G body Cutlass, When installed right, they look freaking killer and are always a topic of conversation at car shows.. You can buy the top cover plates, brackets, shifter cable, etc.all available aftermarket. A nice set will typically cost $400 - $500 when you can find them. Not much money in my book considering the cool factor.

Perhaps Brian at Gbody parts can provide an update on availability of the aftermarket set. Last I heard there were licensing issues. I'm guessing that Hurst had to many of thier fingers in the cookie jar and the profitability isn't there. I have one of the few new re-pops that was used for development. It's is a very nice piece.

cblazer1500

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
Altoona, PA.
So when are the repos coming out? Lol Screenshot_2016-01-01-20-39-36.png

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I wouldn't pay more than $400 for one off of eBay 90% or those shifters sold on there are GARBAGE and need some kind of work to get them to work properly. I've been ripped off twice by shifters that were claimed to be functional only to have busted pins requiring welding or are just parts shifters because the main lever channel is so worn the pin just twists causing it to jam or stick.
Best to buy them in person, from a reputable source or community member before overpaying on eBay.
I can rebuild/repair them if needed I've done so many of these shifters.
There's a guy selling two broken shifters on FB for $800, granted they have consoles and brackets but way overprice IMO for something that doesn't work.
A guaranteed nicely working shifter can run $500-$600 to the right person but that's what most seem to want for their junk...

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

chiefballer52

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2014
Screenshot_2016-03-14-20-54-33.png
Screenshot_2016-03-14-20-54-26.png

500$

4 speed fully functional, if I knew how to upload a video I Would.. Message me for it..

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OOF. Looks like that set could use a new set of balls...which I happen to have some if anyone needs any.

I did happen to sell my NOS LR set up for 1800 on here actually. It came with everything but brackets, cable clips, and console. Of course finding all that stuff separate would cost a lot anyway, but it put the actual cost of the shifters for <1000, which would likely be in line with the rarity of such parts in brand new condition.

If I were to buy good, used, I'd probably go $500 max. But if they needed repairs, that would have to be deducted, obviously. So 400-500 wouldn't be insane for a good working set. JMO

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor