Lightweight SBC flywheel...benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Since I seem to build my car at a rate that is best measured in geologic time rather than with a calendar, I have started planning my future 5 speed swap now. I have a Borg Warner T-5 (3 of them!) and I plan to use it in the Olds behind my 350 Chevy 2 piece seal engine. I was thinking about using a lightweight flywheel to cut back on parasitic losses, but am unsure of the benefits outweigh the costs. I figure I have several flywheel choices (153 tooth). 1 would be a standard weight flywheel, next would be the lightweight GM flywheel used in the L69 Camaro/Firebird, lastly there is an aluminum flywheel with a steel friction surface. I am wondering if there are significant enough benefits to any of these on a relatively mild 350. Your thoughts are welcome.

As an aside, part of my design philosophy with this car is to improve performance and fuel economy without sacrificing driveability by improving overall efficiency. This is why the flywheel is intriguing as it would not significantly degrade idle quality or low end torque.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
ahh just drill it yourself. use the idiot with the eclipse as a guide. :rofl:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
knowing your philosophy on some things, i'd go with the L69 f-wheel. this way you could get it at the junkyard.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, the L69 flywheel would probably be the direction I take as it isn't $480 like the one I looked at in an old Summit catalog. Efficiency is just one of those things I like to think about a lot. If I ever build a new shortblock, I will probably look into lighter pistons and see if anyone makes a good, street aluminum rod that isn't priced too high as I am curious as to what effect the reduction in weight would have on fuel efficiency and power. I am always trying to balance the triumvirate of evil: power vs. fuel economy vs. cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor