Locking spare tire cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why they never copied it for our cars. Wonder how far off the shifter hole in the stick console compared to the floor hole for our cars. Maybe a S10 T5 (proper built one) might line up with it?
Yeah, it makes you wonder, doesn't it? If I'm not mistaken, the 3rd generation F-bodies used a center hand brake coming out of the console, which I thought was a cool thing to add to a G-body car.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
The F-body consoles always looked right in a G-body. (y)
Wow!! It's still hard for me to imagine all the good stuff that still remains out there. Kind of like a time warp.

It did feel like a time warp, not many vehicles from 2000+ but there are some sprinkled in, just to remind you you aren't back in the 90's or 80's.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
A few more pics of the time warp, have more and could of taken way more:

First couple can make out the plates if you look closely, expired in 1990 and 1988, the top one in the "new" section of the yard

Also in the mix a bucket/console 4 door Cutlass slant back

Attachments

• IMG_2558[1].JPG
    IMG_2558[1].JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 193
  • CD2.jpg
    CD2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
  • CD3.jpg
    CD3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • CD4.jpg
    CD4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
  • CD5.jpg
    CD5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
  • CD6.jpg
    CD6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 164
  • CD7.jpg
    CD7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • CD8.jpg
    CD8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • CD9.jpg
    CD9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Paul,
Thanks for sharing pics of the "time warp" stash. I still find it hard to believe that this stuff has survived the test of time. I guess given the fact that these cars were not subjected to road salt, etc. over the years, has pretty much kept them fairly solid and intact.
The slant back Cutlass coupe looks pretty complete and straight. However, many of these cars look good topside, but the floors and frame rails may reveal other rust issues. That 4-dr slantback with buckets and console...now that's a true oddball.
When was the last time you saw a Vista Cruiser wagon in the junkyard...or even a VW bus for that matter

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It did feel like a time warp, not many vehicles from 2000+ but there are some sprinkled in, just to remind you you aren't back in the 90's or 80's.
I did notice some '80's-'90's cars in the mix. As you said, to remind us that we weren't back in that era.
Kind of makes me wish I was traipsing thru there with a set of tools. I'm sure the weather would be a hindrance though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, it makes you wonder, doesn't it? If I'm not mistaken, the 3rd generation F-bodies used a center hand brake coming out of the console, which I thought was a cool thing to add to a G-body car.

I didf that upgrade when I did the manual conversion. It works better than the pedal and it's self adjusting

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I didf that upgrade when I did the manual conversion. It works better than the pedal and it's self adjusting
Steve,
I remember you mentioning converting over to the center parking brake with the F-body console. That's a nice setup. I like that you're able to actually use the handbrake instead of the dumbass foot controlled pedal.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
When we went the temps/weather was "nice", upper 30's and no wind or rain, it's actually better in some ways to go this time of year, no bugs and vegetation is as low as it would be. Still lots of growth to walk to through but less greenery in the way. I did see a Vista Cruiser in another yard last fall but it was getting picked over, that yard has much more activity and is closer to what I'd call a normal yard but that one also had a little bit of old metal. This one is unique in that so much is untouched or barely touched. Where the Vista Cruiser is cars are tighter together and you need to walk through brush and get fairly close to get close enough to see what the car is with how snug they are. Plan to go back at least once, probably more, later in winter or early spring, before bugs become an issue but I also wouldn't spend time in frigid temps either. Once nice thing too about this place is there isn't much mud, pretty flat, a little sandy and enough bristles/leaves.

The cars are all exposed enough to salt here that by the time they are in there the rot has started and many are on the ground, the GP with the plates that expired in 88' I removed the console out of, while sitting in the drivers bucket the seat was basically falling into the ground, the floor pan was about gone. Mother nature is trying to take them back slowly but surely. The slant back must of been there about 10 years, think that's about when that area was filled in with cars. I'd assume a garage kept car most of it's life, the interior was still in great shape minus dash cracks. The top appeared to have been green originally too when looking close at it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve,
I remember you mentioning converting over to the center parking brake with the F-body console. That's a nice setup. I like that you're able to actually use the handbrake instead of the dumbass foot controlled pedal.

I did it for a few reasons, one being 4 pedals would have confused me and another main reason was that on the highway trip I don't know if I could slide my foot in between the pedals to rest on the firewall. On the practical side I did that conversion when I had the body off, I did not want to struggle to put the stock parking brake cable back in.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I did it for a few reasons, one being 4 pedals would have confused me and another main reason was that on the highway trip I don't know if I could slide my foot in between the pedals to rest on the firewall
I didn't think of it in those terms...especially having an extra pedal to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor