Longer shocks needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
good, those are the same ones I have in my wagon.
RAs Moog spring chart doesn't show an installation height, only a free height. that wagon spring is .75" taller compared to a sedan. when compared to your original spring, the new spring will be taller of course, because it's new and your original spring is old and sagged.
as for your issue with installation, I don't know. maybe its the way your installing them. I've always installed mine one a time and have never had an issue. I support the axle under the shock mount at the rear axle, disconnect the shock from the axle, lower the axle and swap out the spring, I then compress the spring till the shock will reattach. then repeat on other side.
hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
good, those are the same ones I have in my wagon.
RAs Moog spring chart doesn't show an installation height, only a free height. that wagon spring is .75" taller compared to a sedan. when compared to your original spring, the new spring will be taller of course, because it's new and your original spring is old and sagged.
as for your issue with installation, I don't know. maybe its the way your installing them. I've always installed mine one a time and have never had an issue. I support the axle under the shock mount at the rear axle, disconnect the shock from the axle, lower the axle and swap out the spring, I then compress the spring till the shock will reattach. then repeat on other side.
hope this helps.
Joe, If I ratchet the body down in order to make the shock connection, then the spring is now over compressed AND the shock is fully extended. At rest. The shock I am using is part of a lowering kit and I believe it is shorter than stock but cannot confirm this.

RA has a whole list of stock shocks. Only some of them provide dimensional info. The ones that do, vary by over an inch or more in some cases. The wagon springs were kind of buried in that list so I didn't know if there was a "known" longer set of shocks guys are running.

It sounds like you are using wagon springs and stock shocks without an issue. I will choose a pair and give it a try.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If your shock is fully extended at ride height, regardless of the specs of the current shock - they’re too short and can’t be used without modifying the shock mounts( I think you aware if this already from reading through this.)

Unhook the shocks and set the car on the ground. It would be great if you could drive around a little to get the springs settled - even around the driveway is better than nothing. Then, with all 4 wheels on the ground, measure the distance between the upper and lower mount. You want at least 60-65% of available shock travel to be into compression. And 70% won’t be a deal breaker, but I aim at 60-65%. Then buy accordingly.

RockAuto is your friend for finding information like this. Start searching through different models’ specs. Or find a shock catalog to find a number to crosse reference.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could always install a shock extension.
1666537026035.png

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Joe, If I ratchet the body down in order to make the shock connection, then the spring is now over compressed AND the shock is fully extended. At rest. The shock I am using is part of a lowering kit and I believe it is shorter than stock but cannot confirm this.

RA has a whole list of stock shocks. Only some of them provide dimensional info. The ones that do, vary by over an inch or more in some cases. The wagon springs were kind of buried in that list so I didn't know if there was a "known" longer set of shocks guys are running.

It sounds like you are using wagon springs and stock shocks without an issue. I will choose a pair and give it a try.
The shocks you have in your kit are listed on the RA website for gbodies. Also, all gbody frames are engineered the same where the rear shocks mount. Gm only changed the rear springs because wagons are heavier. While i apreciate your thoroughness of thinking through the problem. your missing the one thing not listed in the spec chart, new springs settle.
Instead of fretting about it, hook up the shocks, fill the gas tank and drive it.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Instead of fretting about it, hook up the shocks, fill the gas tank and drive it.
The shock would then act as a limiter strap. And from a visual standpoint it wouldnt allow the wagon spring to lift the rear which would go against what I'm looking to achieve. I have a few sets coming so I will play around. Later today I will try setting wheels directly on the ground and see if i can hook shocks up that way but I dont expect it to be any different than on the jack with suspension loaded. But its worth a try. Hopefully Im wrong I paid good money for these Bilsteins and dont wanna shelve them

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
My first Malibu (sedan) had wagon springs and stock shocks. OEM shocks in fact. Sorry to be blunt, but either the springs need to settle, or you're doing something wrong. I seem to remember having a similar issue... Have you tried bolting them up on top, then lowering the car completely to the ground, and then bolting the bottom? Pretty sure I had to do this on my cutlass.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What I get out of this is that you spent good money on shocks that don't fit now. OK- we've all been there. You have two options- one of which you are now enagegde in. Get some normal G-body shocks and be done with it. Or get extensions [ like 555bbchevy suggested] that mount up top and will drop the axle mount point down several inches. When I first did up my Bonnewagon I used 1979 Buick LeSabre HD springs that really raised up the rear. They worked well with the huge tires I had at the time. But the shocks were too short. I was using coil-over shocks and still had to use the extensions up top to reach the axle mounts. This worked out well as I was towing boats with this set-up. Later I stopped towing and put smaller tires on and the rear was up too high. I put some "HIgh Jacker" springs from JC Whitney which I still have on. They are a couple of inches taller than stock wagon springs and yet stock shocks fit perfectly.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
What I get out of this is that you spent good money on shocks that don't fit now. OK- we've all been there. You have two options- one of which you are now enagegde in. Get some normal G-body shocks and be done with it. Or get extensions [ like 555bbchevy suggested] that mount up top and will drop the axle mount point down several inches. When I first did up my Bonnewagon I used 1979 Buick LeSabre HD springs that really raised up the rear. They worked well with the huge tires I had at the time. But the shocks were too short. I was using coil-over shocks and still had to use the extensions up top to reach the axle mounts. This worked out well as I was towing boats with this set-up. Later I stopped towing and put smaller tires on and the rear was up too high. I put some "HIgh Jacker" springs from JC Whitney which I still have on. They are a couple of inches taller than stock wagon springs and yet stock shocks fit perfectly.
Bonnewagon are the shock extensions safe? I assume so as you mentioned you were towing with this setup and had no issue. Just have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor