Looking for a GM code scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I have a 02 Trail blazer. What code scanner are you guys using for GM drivetrain codes. I'm looking for one that does Transmission codes and 4X4 codes. The four wheel drive will not engage when cold and the 4X4 light is on. I have one the does everything BUT drivetrain and four wheel drive codes.

Thanks Doug

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There is a GM tech 2 clone called Tech2Win that can do everything a GM tech 2 does at a fraction of the price. Issue is you need a windows XP laptop or something goofy like a toughbook. I almost bought one when my AWD encoder went out on my 04 Rainier.

From my extensive research, waffling back and forth between autel, blue driver stuff, ect ect, I went back to Tech2Win.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
How much do you want to spend?
The bummer is a lot of the info is proprietary so we cannot access it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I bought an Autel Maxi-Check Pro to diagnose my Daughter's '12 Jeep. The left rear ABS sensor overheated, failed, and took out the 4 wheel drive, traction control, and ABS. The dash warning lights and a simple code check would have led you to believe the $500 ABS module was bad. The Autel pinpointed the $13 sensor so we did that first and it fixed everything.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I bought an Autel Maxi-Check Pro to diagnose my Daughter's '12 Jeep. The left rear ABS sensor overheated, failed, and took out the 4 wheel drive, traction control, and ABS. The dash warning lights and a simple code check would have led you to believe the $500 ABS module was bad. The Autel pinpointed the $13 sensor so we did that first and it fixed everything.

It's gonna sound like i'm picking on you, but that's not my intent.

It seems that many people have fallen into the trap of assuming that whatever the scanner says is the culprit. I see people all the time throwing parts at something without doing the diagnostic work.

The code in many cases identifies the problem group, not the part. A GOOD tech will know to follow the flowchart/diagnostic tree, and use the datastream to see what's REALLY going on. Then an informed decision can be made.

I think this is where the cheap code readers can hurt consumers that don't know the proper way to fix it, and just assume the part indicated is the problem.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Picking on me? No worry. A scanner is just another important tool we need. But if you don't even know what the code is you are in a world of hurt. I know lots of otherwise good mechanics that threw up their hands and quit when computers took over. Remember when the Snap-On was the only available scan tool and it was $3000? Times have changed and no decent mechanic would be without at least a code reader, and the scanners like the not very expensive Autel are way better than the expensive old ones.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What i meant was that like you said in your previous, lots of people would have assumed the module was bad. Luckily, you have the tools and experience to do the legwork to find the actual problem.

Yep, scan tools have come a LONG way.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I miss the day when all you needed was a paper clip & time to wait for the CEL to blink all the codes out.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor