Looking for more go for my show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plain Jane

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2014
Howdy. Posted on here awhile back but haven't done much with this car in that time (all my money went into my Eclipse project). I drive an '86 Bonneville V6, and while it is a looker, I think it can use a little more oomph. Don't want to do anything too wild, just a few bolt-ons so it'll at least sound the part. Was thinking the basics like IM, 4bbl, headers, catback and a few other odds and ends. However, I am not familiar with the aftermarket scene for these cars and need a little help knowing what to look for and where to find it. I'm not interested in cheap parts and will happily pay the premium for quality stuff.

Also, I understand that the TMH230 is made of glass. What is a safe level of power it can take and would a bolted 3800 threaten to destroy it? Thank you

IMG_20180602_145704451.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Upgrading the rear gear ratio will probably give you the best bang for the buck. What rear gear does it have in it now?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Plain Jane

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2014
Unsure of the rear gear ratio, but the engine is a 3.8 V6

If the transmission is solid enough I'd consider a shift kit

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Gears are your best friend here. I put a 4.3 in my '85 Bonneville with a TH200 and it works pretty well, except it is totally gutless from a start with 2.41 gears. I am guessing that ours have similar enough options that you have the 2.41 gearset too. 3.08's would be a pretty good fit for that car with no overdrive. As far as the transmission goes, it should be fine for anything the 3.8 could reasonably produce.

There is not a cheap or efficient upgrade path for the Series 1 3800's that will get you a big horsepower gain short of turbocharging. Gears will take you a good ways with getting up and going faster but if you "Gotta Go Fast", I would start looking for a V8. 350 Buick would be a direct bolt in with all the accessories from the 3.8 reused.

Also, nice car. I wish mine was that clean. Here is mine (still in progress)

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/you-know-shes-a-keeper-when.65373/

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Plain Jane

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2014
I would guess we have similar gears, as she's slow and lumbering off the line but more than capable of holding her own at higher speeds. The 3.08 is starting to sound interesting. Would something like that be a direct swap or would custom work be involved? And is it a posi?

The car doesn't need to be a rocket ship. I have what most people would call a fast car already, I just need a little more power and some rumble.

That's quite a project you have going there! I'll be taking a closer look at that for some ideas/inspiration later on down the road lol

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
To make do with what you have with some upgrades ,You need to make it more efficient. A good intake manifold ,headers with dual exhaust. I don`t know your state emissions laws are.But high flow catalytic converters if needed, A small 4 bbl carb , and a good tune to start.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
This has been discussed ad nauseum here before (try the search box). The bottom line is: compression makes power. Your starting point is 110hp at 7.9:1 compression ratio. A member here threw every bolt on you could at one, and might have gotten to 150hp. A blow through EFI, turbo, and intercooler would be the best way to get close to 200. Or, find a Buick 350 to drop in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor