Looking for some advice on my EFI/Carb fuel system swap

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
Hi all,
I am hoping to get the fuel system sorted out on my 86 Monte Carlo while the body is still off the frame. The gen VI 454 I am using does not have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, so I need an electric one and an in-tank pump seems to be the way to go. The carb is a Quick Fuel 750cfm Brawler, and with the ZZ502 Cam, and Hooker 2" headers. It should be around 428 hp and 507 ft-lb of torque.
I purchased the Spectra Premium EFI Fuel Tank W/Filler Neck GM306C and will also pick up the Spectra Premium FG156A Fuel Tank Sending Unit.
From looking around I was thinking of using the WIX 33737 Fuel Filter Regulator as I could mount this close to the tank for a shorter return line. A Quick Fuel 30-803QFT Fuel Pressure Regulator under the hood and to the carb to bring the WIX filter/regulator down to 4.5-9 psi from 58 psi. I am not even sure if this will work or is correct as I never really tackled an EFI swap before.
As for the pump, I am not quite sure what lph pump I should use. I'm sure I don't need anything to wild as of now but down the road a power adder is not out of the question.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-33737
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-30-803qft

Something like this..

efils99041.jpg

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
It is a 1999 Gen VI 454 with factory Vortec heads. It has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. This is my Build so far..

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/midlife-crisis-monte-carlo-build.76980/page-13

That is wild. I see roller cam hardware and oval ports that are taller than they are wide, but the GenV is the only 454 block GM made without a provision for a mechanical fuel pump. My car has a GenVI short block with GenV peanut port heads and a MarkIV 4bbl intake. I'd be curious what the casting number is, but at this point it's of no consequence as you already have what makes the Vortec better in the first place. I'm much more limited with the amount of valve lift on my engine.

Edit: forgot to attach pic of fuel pump bolted to my engine.

PXL_20231118_010516725.jpg

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
You're only running 5 to 7 psi so there is no reason to run 58 and then step down. Just go with TBI which is 9 rated realistically runs around 12, or use a TPI which is 15 psi. And hop on rock auto and pick up the EFI structure for the tank. The hole with the lock ring is standardized across GM for those years. So you need to know depth from top of tank where the new unit will go into, to the bottom were the sock will be and keep that about 3/8 inch off the bottom of the tank.

So look on what is available for the tank for that year. And if nothing is... You might have to get creative, Tornado/Eldorado had TBI for that year. Camaro/Firebird had TPI for that year. Both of those setups run the electric pump, so from there you have plug and play, now the next major thing is the LPH/GPH question. So try to figure that out and get a pump that can keep up with the 454.

I put a Holley Sniper in a 57 with 400 small block totally different animal, but there is no way I would want to run that pump to a carb.

I put a EBrock 600 in an 87 Caprice that came factory with TBI, so just ran the TBI setup and through a return, or bypass style Holley Regulator. Just can't remember the one I used at the moment. You don't want to go 58 psi inflow pressure and step it down to 6 - 9. You might find the carb likes 7.5 and stepping down from 58 to 7.5 or what ever it ends up being... You are just asking for trouble...

Just throwing darts on the wall here but with 454 and decent size 4BBL, I would think 15 and step down to 7 or whatever would be the way to go. If it ends up the 454 only needs 5 psi, then I would think 9 psi and step down to 5 running a bypass system would be the way to go. Now from there you just need to dig around and see what parts will make that happen.

50 psi in a 3/8 steel line makes a great flame thrower... Doubt you want that. Keep pressures small and adjustments small... Should be more manageable. But bypass system would be my suggestion

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don’t think you’re diagramed setup will work, or if it does, then it will be problematic.

There are plenty of options better, and more reliable than that. A return style regulator will be able regulate 15-20psi down to 5. A TBI pump from a BBC in the late 80/90’s would be your best bet AFAIC. It will require a sock prefilter in the tank, and a normal carb filter anywhere between the pump and carb.

I can’t be emphatic enough about not using the return style fuel filter - they SUCK. Also, be careful equating pressure to volume.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
In the GMT400 world a popular upgrade for a well fed TBI truck is the Vortec pump. The TBI pump is pretty weak. Think flow here, not just pressure. I used one of these to knock fuel pressure down from EFI to carb levels, but back then it was a helluva lot cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I can think of a better way,.... just use one inline filter because your fuel pump will be in the tank.

carb fuel return.jpg

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
That is wild. I see roller cam hardware and oval ports that are taller than they are wide, but the GenV is the only 454 block GM made without a provision for a mechanical fuel pump. My car has a GenVI short block with GenV peanut port heads and a MarkIV 4bbl intake. I'd be curious what the casting number is, but at this point it's of no consequence as you already have what makes the Vortec better in the first place. I'm much more limited with the amount of valve lift on my engine.

Edit: forgot to attach pic of fuel pump bolted to my engine.

View attachment 231169
I did manage to snap a pic of the casting number this morning

20231118_084406.jpg

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
Thank you so much for the help and recommendations guys, I admit, this is for some reason tough for me to figure out.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor