Looking for some advice on my EFI/Carb fuel system swap

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I looked on rockauto for a TBI fuel pump for a 1993 Chevy K3500 with 7.4l/454 TBI and found that it is the same part number as one for a TBI 1987 Monte Carlo. It appears that this would fit the Grand National sender, but it lists the Average Flow Rating at 28 GP.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1111798&cc=1056350&pt=6256&jsn=485

After looking around I see on tanksinc.com it says "A good estimator of volume to power is approximately 10 hp per gallon or 2.64 hp per liter. For example, if your pump flows at 50 gph it should be able to support a 500 hp engine (50 x 10 = 500). However, to actually know the gph you must also consider the fuel pressure required for your engine."

So the pump I looked up on rockauto would only support 280 HP, correct?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I looked on rockauto for a TBI fuel pump for a 1993 Chevy K3500 with 7.4l/454 TBI and found that it is the same part number as one for a TBI 1987 Monte Carlo. It appears that this would fit the Grand National sender, but it lists the Average Flow Rating at 28 GP.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1111798&cc=1056350&pt=6256&jsn=485

After looking around I see on tanksinc.com it says "A good estimator of volume to power is approximately 10 hp per gallon or 2.64 hp per liter. For example, if your pump flows at 50 gph it should be able to support a 500 hp engine (50 x 10 = 500). However, to actually know the gph you must also consider the fuel pressure required for your engine."

So the pump I looked up on rockauto would only support 280 HP, correct?

Like I said, the TBI pumps are weak. A pump doesn't make any pressure until something obstructs its flow. Look at a pump for a 96 Chevy K3500. Late 97 they went to the plastic bucket design, so you're after a 96-early 97 pump.

Also, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, can you post a pic of the right front side of your block?

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
Like I said, the TBI pumps are weak. A pump doesn't make any pressure until something obstructs its flow. Look at a pump for a 96 Chevy K3500. Late 97 they went to the plastic bucket design, so you're after a 96-early 97 pump.

Also, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, can you post a pic of the right front side of your block?
Sure, no problem at all to the picture and I will take a look at those pumps as well. Thank you for the help.

20231118_135341.jpg

20231118_135507.jpg

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I ended up doing some internet searching and came across a thread I'd created on my own engine when I was trying to figure out exactly what it was. My block is 12550313, I guess that's specific to a crate engine. I'll have to have a look and see if either of my trucks have the fuel pump boss, according to that other thread the trucks on the line didn't have the fuel pump boss. Sorry to muddy up your thread with all this, I was genuinely concerned you had a GenV and not a GenVI at first.

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I scoured the internet and forums with mixed results on what would work with off the shelf parts. So today I called Aeromotive and TI Automotive. The tech guys who answered the phone were great. I gave them all the info they needed, and this is what I was advised will work. I have no fuel lines as the body is still off the chassis so running 6AN lines and fittings to and from the tank should be no problem.

FUELa.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I scoured the internet and forums with mixed results on what would work with off the shelf parts. So today I called Aeromotive and TI Automotive. The tech guys who answered the phone were great. I gave them all the info they needed, and this is what I was advised will work. I have no fuel lines as the body is still off the chassis so running 6AN lines and fittings to and from the tank should be no problem.

View attachment 231317

If you're going -6, that's the same as the factory 3/8 so off the shelf lines would work for you.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the info but I had boxed in my frame so the factory stuff I don't think will work. I had to bend new brake lines as well as they wouldn't work.

Ahh, no it would not in that case. That's probably in your build thread as well.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI

View attachment 231317

I had no idea that Fuel Pressure Regulators could be $350!! Geesh.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor