Looking for some input/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiCK3D_SiX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2011
Hey all, My names Dustin. Im new to the forums. I figured instead of making 2 posts Id simplify things by making just this one. Im located in SC PA and Ive been shopping around for a nice "muscle car" to trade my Tahoe for. Finally found one (I think) which brings me to the reason Im here. Im looking for advice on things to look for on a 1987 Cutlass T-Top car that may be specific to these vehicles. Hopefully within the next week Ill be trading if all goes well. The rundown of the car:

Oldsmobile
Cutlass
Supreme
T-Top
V6 car but:
350SBC Swap
650CFM Holly Carb
Scorpion Edelbrock Intake Manifold
Bowtie cylinder heads
Brand new short block (3k on entire build)
He also recommended I upgrade the serpentine system to V-Belt...current setup is off of a K-5 Blazer to get it on the road.
450HP

TH-350 Transmission with fresh rebuild and shift kit

Here is one of my major concerns. It still has the factory 7.5 Rear

My plans are to pick it up and DD it until I can find a Monte Carlo SS or Grand National posi rear to swap into it but I want to make sure as long as Im not beating it, that the rear with last until I can do so.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

5Y45U45R53pd3o33l9bambd28157d587a16fc.jpg

5P25X35S03n33od3l4bam0f6ce11ccd3c18fb.jpg

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
The rear will hold if u don't beat and the rear has not been beaten. I am putting 350 to a 100 k unit

MrsPapabearXL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2011
WiCK3D_SiX said:
Hey all, My names Dustin. Im new to the forums. I figured instead of making 2 posts Id simplify things by making just this one. Im located in SC PA and Ive been shopping around for a nice "muscle car" to trade my Tahoe for. Finally found one (I think) which brings me to the reason Im here. Im looking for advice on things to look for on a 1987 Cutlass T-Top car that may be specific to these vehicles. Hopefully within the next week Ill be trading if all goes well. The rundown of the car:

Oldsmobile
Cutlass
Supreme
T-Top
V6 car but:
350SBC Swap
650CFM Holly Carb
Scorpion Edelbrock Intake Manifold
Bowtie cylinder heads
Brand new short block (3k on entire build)
He also recommended I upgrade the serpentine system to V-Belt...current setup is off of a K-5 Blazer to get it on the road.
450HP

TH-350 Transmission with fresh rebuild and shift kit

Here is one of my major concerns. It still has the factory 7.5 Rear

My plans are to pick it up and DD it until I can find a Monte Carlo SS or Grand National posi rear to swap into it but I want to make sure as long as Im not beating it, that the rear with last until I can do so.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

5Y45U45R53pd3o33l9bambd28157d587a16fc.jpg

5P25X35S03n33od3l4bam0f6ce11ccd3c18fb.jpg

Welcome :D

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Sounds like a good deal and word of advice the monte carlo ss rear is still a 7.5.

BillsHoe

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Zoo York
There are plenty of posi rears for sale. The rear you have is ok to drive on but if you push it hard it will break.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Upgrade the serpentine setup to a V-belt setup :?:

That makes no sense. The serpentine setup is far more superior :idea:

Just be sure to check the frame rails for rust and the t-top section for rust as well :mrgreen:

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
The most important part of any build is the car body shell and frame,start with a clean and rust free a car as you can find.Every thing else can be switched. Good luck with your build.

WiCK3D_SiX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys! he said it has a small spot of rust on the rocker, and it could use paint. Hopefully all goes well. He seems to have been very honest and up front. He said the t top seals leak but I'm sure I can figure out a quick fix until I can get new seals in it. Does the Grand National use an 8.5? I was thinking that, or possibly a trans am trans and rear?(4th gen)

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
GN's had 8.5's. F body rear ends won't work. Not the correct width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor