Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
That one looks good.

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass
yeah that one looks sweet nice color with the grey interior . i love the ss but in mass with the inspection guidelines could pose problems when you change emission things thats why i stick to 82 and down exempt from emission tests . and 78 and 79 monte body styles are not in my favorite list i think the lines etc on the 84 for example are more desireable

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
an fyi for Mass inspections in October the year cutoof gets raised, if you dont have an OBD-2 computer then you dont need emissions only safety inspections and normally right now 1985 and newer must take emissions.

p.s. the 78-80 monte also weighs less than the 81-88 montes, haha!
and that monte ss on craigslist for $1500 has been for sale for atleast 4 months now

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Yup, now in Mass only 96 and up get the emissions check.

95 and down, only safety.

Of course with gas prices and current financial woes, I would expect that everything less than say 25 mpg are slow sellers, aka gas guzzlers.

Heck, many people have asked to buy my V-6 as they want something older but don't want the poor MPG's.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
yeah i knew the computer thing was comming up soon for emissions, then again you really dont see too many 95 and older cars around here in New England.

a few years ago when the 78 was on the road i went to get an inspection and the guy there spent 20 minutes looking for the computer port and bar code to scan into his computer for the inspection. finally he asked me where it was and i told him it didnt have one, no computer pre bar codes, car only gets the horn, lights and rust inspection. sucked i still had to pay the normal $29 fee for inspection

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass
i work at a dealer that does insp so i have it easy . i thought the new inspection guidelines are changing in october i will be going to the classes soon

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
That is exactly why I got my '82 Regal, no emissions. I could of spent $2,200 on a newer car but I didn't want any trouble with the obd-2 crap. I still got it even though it has a Chevy 350 in it. I probably get 13 mpg but I don't need to go anywhere anyway plus I think gas is going to take a sharp drop by the end of the year, just my opinion.

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass
bottom line in my opinion hot rodding cost money and if your unwilling to spend money on repairs etc and your concerned about gas then one should rethink hot rod ownership . i dont worry about gas that much but i only drive my car a couple times a week .

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
81_2dr_bu said:
bottom line in my opinion hot rodding cost money and if your unwilling to spend money on repairs etc and your concerned about gas then one should rethink hot rod ownership . i dont worry about gas that much but i only drive my car a couple times a week .

2nd that. Gas mileage shouldn't even be a concern for most of us on here. There are still guy's here with V6's and don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that. But to the guy that just put a bunch of stuff in his car and wants to know why he's only getting 6, dude! I still remember when Minnesota had emissions testing, back before Ventura became governor, all cars 76 and newer and trucks I don't quite remember, but anyway it sucked. Along came Ventura, that man saved us and dropped them all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor