Looking for torque wrench like or hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
So okay, looks like I have to add another tool to the shop roller box; a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. I went looking for one from Gray Tools but they are out of stock with no eta on restock, plus $$$.

Ran a couple of search engines on the subject and most of the mfgrs are companies unknown to me, So............

Anyone on the board making regular use of a 1/4 drive torquie and from where did you score it?

Nick
Nick,
I found one at Harbor Freight. $21.99 back in 2016.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Can't get to Harbor Freight but my local Tool Town kited me an e-flyer during the week that actually has a 1/4 drive on sale. Worth the time to check it out. Thx.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Made an early AM run over to Tool Town and they actually had stock on the 1/4 drive torque wrench that had been in the e-flyer. Turns out to have been made in Taiwan, and since they just happen to be enemies of the mainland, and the price being outrageously reasonable, i scored one. Still in the hard plastic envelope as I type this; this afternoon was dedicated to the welding bench and work on a jack adapter/spacer to get more lift without having to go the stacked wooden block way of it. Pictures, possibly a view, maybe.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
CDI Torque Products is owned by Snap On and is a more affordable option.
I have a quarter drive CDI torque wrench. The ratcheting head failed with little use. I take care of my tools and wasn't working on anything outside it's range. I sent it off to California for repair. Got it back. Broken again almost immediately. I then bought a Tekton. It's not made in the USA but I'm a lot happier with it. So far, I haven't been disappointed with anything from Tekton I've bought. I wish they were made in the USA but at least they aren't made in China.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have a quarter drive CDI torque wrench. The ratcheting head failed with little use. I take care of my tools and wasn't working on anything outside it's range. I sent it off to California for repair. Got it back. Broken again almost immediately. I then bought a Tekton. It's not made in the USA but I'm a lot happier with it. So far, I haven't been disappointed with anything from Tekton I've bought. I wish they were made in the USA but at least they aren't made in China.
This past Winter I sold all of my mismatched and Toptul 1/2" drive sockets and replaced every one of them with 6 point Tekton. I have to say Im very happy with the finish and quality of their sockets. Well marked, the sets are pretty complete as far as sizing and the prices were pretty decent. Ive got almost all Craftsman 3/8 and 1/4 drive 6 point and Proto 12 points and the Tektons are just as nice.
An added plus is they give you a % when you place an order that you can use on your next which has worked out well for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
My current torque wrenches are Craftsman but if I were buying new ones, I'd be getting Tektons.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
With all these glowing reviews, I may have to revisit the Tekton site. Craftsman products are not available locally and Lowes went out of business here several years back. My understanding on that is that their business model for the district was too aggressive and demanded too high a market segment too quickly to be viable. They wanted too much too soon against proven and long time local competitors; didn't happen and they folded their tents and closed their doors. Store front was the anchor for a local mall and it is still empty.

Nick

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
For my LS intake manifold I believe I used my Craftsman 3/8 in-lb clicker from Sears. I also have a Husky 3/8 ft-lb clicker from HD (lots of use on this one) and a Kobalt 1/2 ft-lb clicker from Lowes. No complaints on any of these, good quality and good price (at the time at least) I would recommend all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor