HELP Looking to install a Holley Sniper

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
I currently have a 350 in my 81 Malibu with a Quadrajet.
It runs alright though I need to do some adjustments as the high idle isnt going down on its own right now. Otherwise seems fine. I do think the lifters are a bit noisy but dont know if thats a big concern or not.

Anyways, long term I want to do an LS Swap, but looking into it and just the way I am, I wont be satisfied going with a bare bones swap. I will want to rebuild it, custom harness, dress it up, etc so that is going to be very time consuming and expensive.

The Holley Sniper (QJet version), seems very appealing to me. I like the idea of a much more reliable and less finicky fuel system compared to carb. As well not having to worry about the silly heat riser valve, choke adjustments, etc. Driving in cooler weather reliably would be nice.

So I'm feeling pretty set on going that way (unless someone has some convincing arguments, which im open to).

I was hoping for some confirmation or advice on the parts I should go with.

Obviously, you need the Sniper EFI - https://www.holley.com/products/fue...sniper_efi/sniper_efi_quadrajet/parts/550-869
For fuel pump, I just got a brand new oem style tank last year, and after doing some reading, I think an in-tank pump would be better. This one sounded really good. https://www.holley.com/products/fue...uel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-306

The info on that pump says you can use the original hard lines, but I found some comments from people saying that because this is a returnless pump, the hardlines can cause some problems (surging? or something like that). And the solution was adding a pulse dampener. But some other comments saying running proper rubber hose instead of the hard lines would also solve this.
So I was thinking of going with this.

Along with wiring and relay/fuse for the pump, and other misc items that come up, it would seem to me that this would cover everything for installing the Holley Sniper.

Would I be correct in that assumption?
Do you guys have an alternative part suggestions?

I am trying to keep costs as low as possible or at least not buy too many things that will become waste later on if I swap in an LS. I believe I'd be able to reuse the fuel pump and lines with an LS. and If I really wanted, I could get a carburetor style intake for an LS and use the Sniper on it, right?

Thanks guys

Solution
If you are focused on LS swap, I would just stay on that. Headers will get you more efficiency, but might be effectively meaningless at street speed.

On a small block Chevy it's biggest issue is exhaust outflow or what is termed as "scavenging". This why a bigger exhaust valve and good port work will get you more power than just bigger intake valves.

The engine is just an air pump, so air in has to be balanced with air out. The exhaust temperature is such that the exhaust is under tremendous pressure and this is where squench is the biggest consideration. The heat has to leave because it creates such a pressure differential and as the piston comes to the top of its travel with the exhaust valve open the exhaust leaves at near...

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
read about mclellan83 's nightmares with his Sniper setup and how useless the Holley support personnel have been.

If memory serves, CopperNick had one in his van which was also a turd (the Sniper, not the van).

If it were me, just keep the qjet, and save the money towards your swap. You'll need it.any budget you make for the ls changeover, it'll probably be 2-3x that by the time you're done.

I think getting a sniper only to go LS in the future is redundant. Focus on getting your vehicle running correctly as it sits. Then, you can start getting everything you need to work with the LS swap and even installing it if it still works with your 350. Or...you can get the motor and start building it as you see fit. That band aid crap is just a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If you are focused on LS swap, I would just stay on that. Headers will get you more efficiency, but might be effectively meaningless at street speed.

On a small block Chevy it's biggest issue is exhaust outflow or what is termed as "scavenging". This why a bigger exhaust valve and good port work will get you more power than just bigger intake valves.

The engine is just an air pump, so air in has to be balanced with air out. The exhaust temperature is such that the exhaust is under tremendous pressure and this is where squench is the biggest consideration. The heat has to leave because it creates such a pressure differential and as the piston comes to the top of its travel with the exhaust valve open the exhaust leaves at near the speed of sound.

At this speed the exhaust needs to leave quickly and under control. The header is better at this than the typical manifold. The problem with manifolds is that your exhaust pulses can collide with each other, and this robs efficiency.

At low RPM (idle to 3000 RPM) it is not really noticed until high RPM. This high RPM loss of efficiency is where it could be the difference to winning or not winning a race. On a daily driver street car this is usually a non issue.

Having each cylinder with their own tube down to the collector gives the possibility of a more balanced flow into the main pipe and out of the car is the benefit of headers.

Reactions: 1 users
Solution

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor