Looking to swap out my 3 speed column shifter for floor one. Any and all help, tips, places to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2019
I have a Small block 350 with a TCI transmission with a shift kit. not to sure on the gears. The guy i bought it from said there all highway ones, and not a posi rear end.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
the column has a different lower bowl. No shifter knob. you will need to make a hole thru the tunnel for the cable. You may need a different shift arm on the trans as you have to hook the cable to it. You need to retain the linkage to the column to keep you neutral safety and back up light working properly. I may still have a couple parts laying around if you need them. I definitely have the column still its hanging on a hook on the wall

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I switched from a column shift to a floor shift with my TH350. Did it in a long afternoon. I will get a couple of pics and post them tomorrow when I finish work. Some things to know:
  • Location of the hole in the trans tunnel is critical.
  • Size of the hole is critical and depends on what shifter you buy.
  • I did have to hook a cable to the trans to make it shift. (I don't remember if it attached to stock linkage arms. Will check tomorrow.)
  • I could not find a way to keep stock linkage hooked up. Still in the car but not connected.
I'll post what I find out tomorrow.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
You may need a different shift arm on the trans as you have to hook the cable to it. You need to retain the linkage to the column to keep you neutral safety and back up light working properly.
Does the same apply if you do an aftermarket floor shifter, or is this just if doing a factory GM shifter?

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Definitely maybe on the shift lever on the trans. If a car came optional floor shift usually gm used the lever that had the cable provisions for simplicity sake. But not always. As for the back up lights, neutral safety and column lock; the shifter has no effect on that. All that mechanism is in the column and if you remove the connection from the column to the trans you will lose those features. You could use the switch on the aftermarket shifter to illuminate the back up lights and even the neutral safety, but the column won't lock. You would have to turn the collar on the column every time to lock it and release the key or pull out the lock from inside the column and leave it in the park position at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor