Lots of play in my steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I'm about to spend a little money to fix the sloppiness in my steering. I figured I would get all 4 tie rods, center link, adj sleeves and idler arm.

Anybody have advice on the best deal. The best parts available. Or is there any difference in OEM parts and aftermarket parts.

Like anyone else, I'm wanting to get the most for my money and a good tight feeling in the steering is something I look forward to having. Thanks for any replies!

I've seen that. Looks like a good upgrade. First I want to bring my steering linkage up to date. I'm wondering where folks go to get some good quality components for these parts.

can't go wrong with Moog parts but why not replace what's worn before you toss money away on parts you may not need ?

I use all moog stuff on mine. and i had alot of play in my steering gear. there pretty easy to rebuild.

My steering gear is pretty sloppy, but everything else is brand new, when I really start driving her I figure I just upgrade to the quick ratio steering box instead of a stock replace/rebuild.

I was having this "sloppy" steering issue as well, knew it couldnt be the steering box because it has less than 10k miles on it, i have new bushings, sway bars, shocks and springs ect.... Finally checked the rag joint and it was pretty warped. I considered replacing the steering shaft with one from a jeep but was advised by Mike @ Mike's Montes that this will make you feel every bump and that it is more of a change for racing setups. so i purchased a brand new upper steering saft from Mike, $175 shipped. All the play is now gone from the steering. hope this helps

Before you order a bunch of stuff, why not first have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you observe all those parts in motion, both under the car and under the hood? You'll probably be able to see what's loose, at least the worst things, and save some money.

But if you just want an all-new front end, then go for it. I use and recommend Moog, too. Bought my parts on Amazon, because they ship from right here in Phoenix, so delivery is super quick for me.

I think NAPA has a heavy duty line of parts available as well. The joints and such are supposed to be bigger/stronger. BTW the Jeep shaft still has a rubber bushing in it. But it's all encapsulated in a steel sleeve, so it should be tighter than the OE open rag joint and still insulate the road from the wheel. The isolator is at the top on the Jeep shaft and the rag joint is at the bottom on the OE. If you have headers, the Jeep shaft may be snug at the third pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor