Lowered / driveshaft problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosnorb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 27, 2010
I have a 53 chevy bel air with a regal clip upfront and when I lowered the car with airbags the driveshaft sticks out of the transmission tailshaft quite a bit. It drives but leaves a trail of transmission fluid in my driveway do to it leaking from the tailshaft. Do I need a longer tailshaft, or longer fixrd yoke? I know I have to worry about the fixed yoke bottomimg out into the transmission but Im kinda stuck, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
how about having the driveshaft lengthened?

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
nosnorb said:
I have a 53 chevy bel air with a regal clip upfront and when I lowered the car with airbags the driveshaft sticks out of the transmission tailshaft quite a bit. It drives but leaves a trail of transmission fluid in my driveway do to it leaking from the tailshaft. Do I need a longer tailshaft, or longer fixrd yoke? I know I have to worry about the fixed yoke bottomimg out into the transmission but Im kinda stuck, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it only pulls out when laid out, but fine when the rear is raised why not consider a slip and stub? I have one on my 79 MC.

2009-11-05164649.jpg

nosnorb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 27, 2010
87LS/88SS said:
nosnorb said:

If it only pulls out when laid out, but fine when the rear is raised why not consider a slip and stub? I have one on my 79 MC.

2009-11-05164649.jpg

You got any more info on this install, or pics of your install. Not familiar with a slip and stub, any help would be great. Thanks

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
nosnorb said:
You got any more info on this install, or pics of your install. Not familiar with a slip and stub, any help would be great. Thanks

Its a slip yoke and stub shaft. From what I understand they are popular in the offroad world. I have 12in cylinders in the rear of my lowrider and the spring keeps me from jamming my drive shaft into my transmission. I had blackmagic hydraulics do all the measuring and a driveshaft place next door to them balanced it. I'm sure a good offroad/driveshaft shop around you should be able to help you out.

Don't know this company, but here is a pic without the spring

http://www.compnine.com/largeimg/020313TH05-073.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor