Lowering Kit Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartrac3r

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2008
Kearney, NE
I have been seeking advice for awhile about this subject and now I'm ready to execute. I'd Like everybody's input though before I buy anything.

Who has the best way to lower a g-body? (2 inches) anybody have any successful lowering kit pros or cons?

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
There are a few ways to lower a gbody. It kind of depends on how you plan too use your car and what kind of budget you have. Are you looking for the look only, going road racing, or quarter mile? I've lowered a few vehicles, and while I'm not an expert, I'll give you my opinion.

kartrac3r

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2008
Kearney, NE
first off I want the look I already have drop spindles on mine (s-10 spindles) but would liek ot go further. So in short yes for looks but I don't want to sacrifice any handling characteristics in the mean time.

Is there a way to do this with solely GM parts? (just curious)

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I'm guessing you have 2inch dropped spindles? If thats the case than you don't have much more you can go. Maybe an inch or two. In the front I would start cutting at the coils to get the desired look. I've cut coils on a few of my rides and if done properly, they work fine. When you cut coils you will get a stiffer ride. Just do it a little at a time. That way is the cheaper route or you could get new ones that already come in 1-3 inch drops. I use hotchkis on mine but I've heard good things about OPG. There are other companys out there also but I don't know anything about them. You asked about GM parts and I don't think there are any other gbody's that came with lower springs. The S10 and Gbody's have the same suspension so maybe you could use springs from an Extreme. For the rear OPG is the only way to go for a 2-3 drop that i know of.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Not sure what you're talking about :?

83LSWagon

Apprentice
Aug 19, 2008
And arent belltech springs good too?

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Belltech springs seem to be respected in the lowered truck world but I don't have any experience with them. Everybody knows that saying" you get what you pay for" and usually thats true. When it comes to springs though, it's one single piece of steel. How hard could that be to screw up? There are parts for my car that I wouldn't trust if it was stamped "MADE IN CHINA" but when it comes to springs. If all you care about is lowering your ride and don't care about spring rates, then I guess what I'm saying is it's ok to go the cheap route. I've had lowered springs on vehicles that I had no idea who made them and they worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor