lowering monte at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
can i lower my 86 monte at home without a lift and what not?

also hows the best way to do this?
drop spindles?
Springs?
both?
thanks for any input

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I'd start off with just a set of Eibach lowering springs and see if you're happy with that. I did that on my car in the driveway with the car on jackstands.

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
How much of a drop did you get?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
The method depends on the drop you're looking for and the ride quality...budget too.

My preferred method is drop spindles, drop shocks, and lowering springs for the rear. You're looking at spending about $500 this way. If you're looking at a proper air ride system, shoot for $2K+.

Then there's the ultimate budget way of cutting your springs. You'll eventually blow out your shocks and the car will ride like crap anyway. Some may beg to differ.

You know what they say about opinions though!

swaggasaur

Apprentice
Apr 17, 2011
G-Body_Vet said:
The method depends on the drop you're looking for and the ride quality...budget too.

My preferred method is drop spindles, drop shocks, and lowering springs for the rear. You're looking at spending about $500 this way. If you're looking at a proper air ride system, shoot for $2K+.

Then there's the ultimate budget way of cutting your springs. You'll eventually blow out your shocks and the car will ride like crap anyway. Some may beg to differ.

You know what they say about opinions though!
haha definitly not doin air ride, wayyy out of my budget.
no cutting springs either, i rather do it right the first time then have it be a pain in the *ss the second time

and i also plan on doing this drop with 20's
the tire size is 245/30/20

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I think you'll be good as long as you have your backspacing set-up properly. Wheels and backspacing aren't my area of expertise though :D

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
swaggasaur said:
and i also plan on doing this drop with 20's the tire size is 245/30/20

Then I retract my recomendation. I thought you were using normal sized wheels. I don't see how a car with huge wheels are going to fit under a G-body ( without rubbing ) without some serious mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor