Ls engine ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastycutlassboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2010
i have a 1983 olds cutlass. and I am trying put a ls2 engine and tranmission in it. I have the wiring har,drive by wire, two O2 sen, ecm, and maf. what wires I need to used the hook up the ecm in to the car.

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
try and find a lq9 out of a esky or an SSS, pay 1500 at most, or an lq4 out of a van or 2500, pay 1000 at most. the ls1, 2's and 3's are great but overpriced. i bet you'd be happy with a 5.3, iron or aluminum block, dont pay over 600. the aluminum 5.3 l33 can be also fount in trucks. use the computer off whatever vehicle the motor comes from, then find a real tuner.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I found a 5.3 out of a Avalanche with 75k for 600. I am thinking of picking it up, Problem is when i get it smogged.....Kind of hard to disguise my GP as a Avalanche.. :lol: Emission's laws are getting strict around here :twisted:

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
I think that CA is the only state you'd have trouble passing a truck motor off as a car motor. The 5.3 is virtually the same motor as the 5.7 ls1 just with a smaller bore. The block, design, emissions requirements, and all that jazz are exactly the same. The reason I say CA is the only state it would be an issue is because they love to check engine stampings on motors.

That being said you could always get the block restamped with LS1 numbers. I mean yeah its illegal but its fighting fire with fire. Then again I doubt anyone would even notice it. Just make sure you have the emissions stuff hooked up and get some camaro covers for the heads.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
stomis said:
I think that CA is the only state you'd have trouble passing a truck motor off as a car motor. The 5.3 is virtually the same motor as the 5.7 ls1 just with a smaller bore. The block, design, emissions requirements, and all that jazz are exactly the same. The reason I say CA is the only state it would be an issue is because they love to check engine stampings on motors.

The intake design will be a big problem. As far as telling wether or not it's a 5.3 or LS1, that would be a dead giveaway. It's much taller than an LS1 and I don't think it will fit under the stock hood. Although you could change the top end.

87MC_SS

Apprentice
Aug 27, 2010
Pueblo, CO
You cannot use the LS4 5.3 engines from a car. They are transverse engines (sideways with a transaxle) all the bell housing bolt holes on the engine are different and the crank shaft is like a quarter of an inch shorter.. Use the 5.3 out of a Chevy truck.. 2000 or newer.. its a weight difference of 65 pounds as the 5.3 is cast iron. And only a 10hp differences then the LS1. Or what i am going to do is get a LQ4 which is a 6.0L the iron version of a LS2, 364HP... for a 1000 less. look on maliburacing.com or PM me I can give you some pointers as I live in Denver, CO but im in college in Pueblo, CO and we dont have ANY EMISSIONS LAWS :)
Ive done quite a bit of research so I kinda know somethings lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor