LS front crank seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Can the front crank seal be replaced without pulling off the timing cover? Every video I have seen does it in conjunction with replacing oil pump or timing chain. This is for my 2005 GMC Sierra with a 5.3. I don't want to pull the cover but if I have to I will change the Oil Pump and chain. Also, If I do change the pump, will I have to drop the pan? Looking for a quick fix since this is my DD.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
To change the pump you have to lower the pan. Not fully remove, but its gotta come down an inch to remove the pickup tube bolt that goes into the pump.

How many miles does it have? LS oil pumps are semi known for wearing out over time and loosing pressure. My 04 rainier 5.3 has 256K and has been on a steady pressure decline for about 30K miles and I suspect needs a pump.

Basically if you are pulling the balancer and its got over 200K throwing a pump in it isn't a bad idea if you are planning to run it for another 50K or so.

If you have 150Kish I wouldn't pull the cover, you can do it in the truck.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
210,000 miles. Oil pressure may be getting lower than it used to be. Hard to tell over such a long time. OP is about 35-40 at about 1500 rpms. I'm the original owner and I never plan to get ride of her. Plan to let my son drive it back and forth to college after I buy a friends truck this summer.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
So you you believe the seal could be replaced in the truck without removing the front cover? Good to know but I think I will follow your lead and replace the pump too.

Another option, I have a 4.8 that was a pull out of a wreck. Was for a project that i sold. Might swap it for a while that way I can see what the condition of the 4.8 is.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
It's easier to pull the cover for the crank seal, tap out from the cover from behind and use the big socket trick to reseat it. I suppose you could do it on the motor though, don't see any reason not to.

Reactions: 1 user

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I just did a front seal on the 6.0 while still in my truck, no big deal except for getting the balancer bolt off and back on. (250 ft lbs. really?!)
If you you do pull the cover you will need an alignment tool to center the crank seal properly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor