Ls swap, does the trans move position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Basically what the title says. I have a 700r4 for my ls swap. I was thinking of installing it behind my 350 for now which will require me to cut the drive shaft. Im planning on using the spohn mounts because I want AC and I want to keep it down low in its original position. My fear (kind of) is if I install the 700r4 now, when I do the swap will the trans move forward or back causing me to have to do the drive shaft over again.
Btw I believe I have to use the sphn mounts because the plate style mounts will interfere with the compressor. Atleast that's what Ive read.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
its all depends on which mounts, pan you use. if you use a 1" setback mount everything will stay the same. I used them and my th350 stayed in the same spot.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Thats good to know. Im not sure how far back the spohn mounts set the engine. The site doesnt specify. I was told those that keeping the Ac down bottom that I should use those mounts. because the plate style ones take up too much soace against the engine block where the Ac monts to. I have never done it so I cant argue it.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
Thats good to know. Im not sure how far back the spohn mounts set the engine. The site doesnt specify. I was told those that keeping the Ac down bottom that I should use those mounts. because the plate style ones take up too much soace against the engine block where the Ac monts to. I have never done it so I cant argue it.

The spohn and holley mounts (as well as other kits) require you to use their crossmember, which means it is going to move the transmission so you would have to shorten or lengthen the drive shaft depending on the position

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So I guess if I put the trans in now I may have to do the driveshaft again. If I need it longer Ill have to get another one. I guess its not that big a deal. I just have to figure out when Im going to do the actual engine swap. I may have to hold off a while because I need too many things to get it going and I dont want the car to sit longer than need be. So I figured I would do the trans now and when it comes time for the motor swap its just the motor and not both.
Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor