Ls swap looking for pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
Don't let the 6.0 bug kill the budget. A 5.3 with a cam and valve springs will wax a stock 6 liter for less money. Really, just slap a completely stock 4.8/5.3 in it to just get it on the road, I guarantee you'll be impressed with the power.
Like Turbolq4 said...5.3 with a Cam is wicked! Especially in our cars. And if you don’t have to worry about smog like I do, slap a turbo on it.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I have ive been obsessing over this all weekend I’m leaning towards an lq4 engine n transmission. I want a 6.0 but I need to upgrade my posi my suspension and I need the ls swap
I completely understand. I have 2, but you wont notice the difference between a 6.0 and a 5.3 unless you really try to push it

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
When last I looked .... in California it is illegal to swap a truck motor into a car. So naturally most LS donors are trucks.
As long as your New motor size matches your current motor in the sense that if you currently have a small block, you can’t swap a big block. And vice versa.👍🏽. Ive also V6 cars fail because they’re not supposed to go V8. And as long as you have your paperwork for where you purchased your motor, you’re all set.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Where is the OP located, anyway? If he isn't in California, he certainly doesn't want to know about the rules we have here. :mrgreen:

Eddie Cutlass

Apprentice
May 3, 2020
San Diego
Where is the OP located, anyway? If he isn't in California, he certainly doesn't want to know about the rules we have here. :mrgreen:
I’m forgetting most of the members are outside of CA. 😂
Been making friends at a nearby referee station here in San Diego. They’re temporarily closed at the moment, but the guy was cool enough to keep in contact regarding any questions. He’s an older hot rod guy and appreciates both foreign and domestics. He gave a lot of useful info on swapping legit.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I completely understand. I have 2, but you wont notice the difference between a 6.0 and a 5.3 unless you really try to push it
I don't know about that.... I'd venture to say there's at least a 50 hp/to increase which you'd definitely notice
But I understand your meaning
It's a rabbit hole... how deep does the OP want to go? Head porting. Better intake etc....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I’m forgetting most of the members are outside of CA. 😂

It's easy to forget there's a WORLD outside of CA sometimes. :mrgreen:

Been making friends at a nearby referee station here in San Diego. They’re temporarily closed at the moment, but the guy was cool enough to keep in contact regarding any questions. He’s an older hot rod guy and appreciates both foreign and domestics. He gave a lot of useful info on swapping legit.

I talked to one a few times several years ago. Guy seemed desperate to talk, had trouble getting off the phone. :mrgreen:

But even from the horse's mouth, it can still be confusing.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't know about that.... I'd venture to say there's at least a 50 hp/to increase which you'd definitely notice
But I understand your meaning
It's a rabbit hole... how deep does the OP want to go? Head porting. Better intake etc....

Don’t need to port heads, buy big headers, or get crazy with displacement - just need a Chinese whistle blower lurking, such as
image.jpg

6.0’s and 6.2’s in this neck of the woods are close to $1500, but 5.3’s are regularly in $4-500, and 4.8’s are closer to $250. They all work for 400-700hp.

No need for a 6.0 - my two cents :) :)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor