LS to 2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Question for the clever people. If I have a perfectly good 200-4R but decide to go the LS route, is there a known hack to use the ECU to apply TCC lock? The internal program is guaranteed to be wrong, and some wire splicing must happen. The other option is a standalone controller.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Guess who hasn't tried this yet?

<= THIS GUY!

First you need to choose "transmission non-electric". That said, it may need a PRNDL or P/N switch to allow it to activate. One of the reasons why I added a VSS was to see if the TCC can still be triggered by the PCM since it looks for road speed for engagement in 2-4. Additionally, certain codes may have to be turned off to avoid setting the CEL. Lastly, the TCC in the 4L60E should work on the same type of circuit as the 200-4R - but if it is inverted a relay can be used to swap the command from 12v to ground.

Yeah, I need to get back to work on the Monte.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
So it's as simple as picking off a switched circuit based on speed? What about engine load - kickdown from a higher gear...I should know this, but I'm not sure the old school transmissions make this choice mechanically.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So it's as simple as picking off a switched circuit based on speed? What about engine load - kickdown from a higher gear...I should know this, but I'm not sure the old school transmissions make this choice mechanically.

That's the rub. Electronic controls do lots of stuff vacuum used to. I'd suggest a factory carb vacuum switch could be put inline to interrupt the circuit under low vac/boost scenarios... which is great until you want it to lock-up under load.

I have only notionally looked into how to make this function "properly".

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Guess who hasn't tried this yet?

<= THIS GUY!

First you need to choose "transmission non-electric". That said, it may need a PRNDL or P/N switch to allow it to activate. One of the reasons why I added a VSS was to see if the TCC can still be triggered by the PCM since it looks for road speed for engagement in 2-4. Additionally, certain codes may have to be turned off to avoid setting the CEL. Lastly, the TCC in the 4L60E should work on the same type of circuit as the 200-4R - but if it is inverted a relay can be used to swap the command from 12v to ground.

Yeah, I need to get back to work on the Monte.
Where in the H E double hockey stick do you get all this knowledge from?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor