LS VS Oldschool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You have to remember the laws were written long before LS engines were even dreamed of. As long as your engine isn't older than your car, it burns clean, and has all of the donor motor's emission systems and parts in place there is nothing to worry about. I agree the law should be as long as it burns clean enough it's legal. The car will be tested for the standards of the year of the new engine, no longer the car's year. However the law is written with the 3 points I just listed must be met, just burning clean isn't enough for them (as unfair as that is). That is the reason GM sells the E Rod crate LS3 packages, nice legal setup for most cars but not cheap. States can do and say whatever they want but fed emission laws have final say over state emission laws. When a state doesn't enforce emissions enough to suit the feds, the feds deny the state DOT funding. The problem is the law is lagging behind the technology as usual.

Most LS swaps I have seen in person and online are not done legally, of course I can say the same about most engine swaps in general. This thread is about LS vs oldschool and emissions is a factor in that which many of us still have to contend with even though it is not a popular subject around these parts. Unpopular enough that members post dead horse picture memes in am attempt to just shut down the discussion. One drawback of going with LS in a strict emission area is that you are forced to update the car to OBD2 emission standards, even installing a OBD2 ALDL under the dash, DBW, and connecting the SEL light to the LS PCM. In such areas it's easier and cheaper just to reuse the original emission system with a SBC or SBO rather than buying a complete donor car for a complete LS swap and dealing with the grey legal areas. Such as installing twin pup converters by the exhaust manifolds. Now in less strict areas where I am guessing most of the forum posters are from, can just slap together whatever combinations and hybrids of new and old tech without a second thought. Such people don't give a flying sh*t about emissions and just don't want to hear about it and insult anyone who does talk about it.

The last thing is some people act like you can't get good MPGs, drivability, and dependability (all 3 being subjective in nature, especially drivability) from older engines which is just false. A good deal of the LS's MPGs comes from the DBW overiding you. Rather than responding instantly to WOT the throttle plate opens more progressively so that the computer doesn't have to add that sudden extra surge of fuel to compensate for the extra air. Just like the LS, many older engines went though evolutions and upgrades throughout their production runs making advantages and disadvantages not so clear cut. Newer SBC blocks for example have denser iron, better machining, better sealing, improved heads, improved induction, mated to overdrive transmissions, etc. So a newer SBC is better than a older SBC and makes comparisons dfficult. Alot of people have had no trouble getting MPGs, drivability, power, and dependability with older motors but you have to know what you are doing. Of couse there are under informed people who build poor set ups of these motors with poorly setup drivetrains and call them all crap from the bad experiences. About the LS's best advantage is the network externality for them is expanding while BOP's network has been on the decline and even the mighty SBC's network is starting to decline. But even the LS will suffer the same fate one day when the next new thing overthrows it. But I guess that is enough :blah: .

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
85GPLef41 said:
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Blue Knight said:
5e8.jpg

Yeah this has gone a little off topic.

that's why I stopped posting.... :shock: BTW the government can't run itself... much less my ls1 powered GP which was certified smog legal by my state.. :D If they want to make my swap illegal then oh well! I think they have a whole lot of issues to deal with! not trying to turn this into a political issue but a ls swap that burns cleaner with or without smog equipment compared to a traditional carbed is a win win in my book IMO!!

In wisconsin everything pre 1996 is EXEMPT..

http://m.jsonline.com/more/news/wisconsin/29594594.html

I will never regret ls swapping my car even with a carburator on it.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
CWPottenger said:
Randy_W said:
I'm not pissing in the air with you, build what you're capable of and what you like, just don't try to make out you know all about something you haven't done. I've been building engines since my first 389 Pontiac in 1969. By the way, the LS1 has 350 h.p. not whatever number you posted and the $1800 was my total investment, I paid $1200 for the engine, and you seem to be confusing the LT1 swap with the LS1 swap.
Rant on dude...

I'm not trying to bash your car, the LS series, or your abilities. Just stating that an LS engine NEW is more expensive period for similar power/torque output and requires additional changes that add to the cost of install, maintenance, etc.

No confusion on engines unless even Summit Racing lies about the HP/Tq #'s

5.3 LS http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-1 ... /chevrolet Still need fuel system @ $6799.97
5.7 SBC http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-1 ... /chevrolet Turn Key @ $6189.97

Didn't doubt your actual investment and sounds like you got a good deal, not everyone looking at an LS swap can get the same deals or have the same level of State regulations to do a swap. Where I am emission requirements are not a concern so I can sidestep a lot of extraneous crap on an engine build.

I think we have gotten off track..... Like I said it looks like you did a very nice and clean install and got a great deal on the combo... Peace
My swap was an LS1, not a 5.3 and it was rated at 350 h.p., I didn't buy a Summit engine. And yes, we do get carried away sometimes don't we? :mrgreen:
Have a good one my friend.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
Clone TIE Pilot said:
On the Eastern Shore of Maryland that car is 100% legal today. The feds may try to grab your guns any day now too. I'm not pissing in the air with you, build what you're capable of and what you like, just don't try to make out you know all about something you haven't done. I've been building engines since my first 389 Pontiac in 1969. By the way, the LS1 has 350 h.p. not whatever number you posted and the $1800 was my total investment, I paid $1200 for the engine, and you seem to be confusing the LT1 swap with the LS1 swap.
Rant on dude...

State can say whatever they want but they can't overide fed laws. The fact of the matter is your swap still isn't legal since you disabled the EVAP system. That MD says it's okay is meaningless since they don't have the power to overturn what the feds say is okay, so even the state of MD is breaking the law. Living in NJ and having to obey emission laws I researched them quite a bit. Basically CA sets their laws, and the Feds just copy CA and tells the other states to follow it. However the Feds have the states do the enforcing for them and some states slack off on the enforcing and get away with it, for now. So I do know quite well what I am talking about and quit your ad hominem attacks. Attacking me doesn't weaken my argument, only yours. Also your Appeal to Authority argument doesn't hold water either. Guns have nothing to do with this topic and is only a red herring. You have the right to bare arms so the feds will have a hard time revoking that right. However you don't have the right to drive your car on public roads and so the feds can and do mandate how your car must be set up, this is why this argument of yours fails. It's not 1969 anymore, you can't just do anything you want to a car anymore legally if you want to drive it on public roads. EVAP systems came out in the early 70s so you should be quite used to them by now and have no reason not to install it other than cutting corners. I never stated anything about LS1 HP numbers, not sure where you are getting that from? I only stated my 1986 gen 1 HO 305 makes 240 HP. I only paid $250 for the whole drvetrain, total install was about $500 quite a bit less than your $1,800, less than a 1/3rd.

You keep switching the topic between your LT or LS swaps and you are the one who brought LT1s into this thread as another red herring to begin with. So do you have an LT or an LS in your 67 now?
Follow the bouncing ball, the '75 Formula now has an LS1, the '67 has an LT1. The car has a carbon canister the vented cap has a nipple, the nipple has a hose, the hose goes to the canister. In Maryland, outside the municipalities there is regulation on swaps into older cars, so long as the 1967 standards are met. Not like some areas that require all emissions from the engine be functional. My '67 is 100% legal, period, end of story.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Randy_W said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:
On the Eastern Shore of Maryland that car is 100% legal today. The feds may try to grab your guns any day now too. I'm not pissing in the air with you, build what you're capable of and what you like, just don't try to make out you know all about something you haven't done. I've been building engines since my first 389 Pontiac in 1969. By the way, the LS1 has 350 h.p. not whatever number you posted and the $1800 was my total investment, I paid $1200 for the engine, and you seem to be confusing the LT1 swap with the LS1 swap.
Rant on dude...

State can say whatever they want but they can't overide fed laws. The fact of the matter is your swap still isn't legal since you disabled the EVAP system. That MD says it's okay is meaningless since they don't have the power to overturn what the feds say is okay, so even the state of MD is breaking the law. Living in NJ and having to obey emission laws I researched them quite a bit. Basically CA sets their laws, and the Feds just copy CA and tells the other states to follow it. However the Feds have the states do the enforcing for them and some states slack off on the enforcing and get away with it, for now. So I do know quite well what I am talking about and quit your ad hominem attacks. Attacking me doesn't weaken my argument, only yours. Also your Appeal to Authority argument doesn't hold water either. Guns have nothing to do with this topic and is only a red herring. You have the right to bare arms so the feds will have a hard time revoking that right. However you don't have the right to drive your car on public roads and so the feds can and do mandate how your car must be set up, this is why this argument of yours fails. It's not 1969 anymore, you can't just do anything you want to a car anymore legally if you want to drive it on public roads. EVAP systems came out in the early 70s so you should be quite used to them by now and have no reason not to install it other than cutting corners. I never stated anything about LS1 HP numbers, not sure where you are getting that from? I only stated my 1986 gen 1 HO 305 makes 240 HP. I only paid $250 for the whole drvetrain, total install was about $500 quite a bit less than your $1,800, less than a 1/3rd.

You keep switching the topic between your LT or LS swaps and you are the one who brought LT1s into this thread as another red herring to begin with. So do you have an LT or an LS in your 67 now?
Follow the bouncing ball, the '75 Formula now has an LS1, the '67 has an LT1. The car has a carbon canister the vented cap has a nipple, the nipple has a hose, the hose goes to the canister. In Maryland, outside the municipalities there is regulation on swaps into older cars, so long as the 1967 standards are met. Not like some areas that require all emissions from the engine be functional. My '67 is 100% legal, period, end of story.

Only to your state but still fails Fed standards, period, end of story. MD is slacking off what they should be doing, the federal law says your cars now must meet the standards of the newer engines, not 1967 or 75 standards anymore. Just be happy your state is doing a poor job for once. Just don't be surprised they do what CO did some time. This link should explain things to everyone. http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Why are you fighting this? You are comparing apple's to apple's engines. I run Olds because it looks and runs way different. Both the sbc and LS engines are soft down low. I hated my 78 1/2 ton, 2.76 gears with a taller tire sucked. The Olds 307 mopped the floor over the 2 sbc 350's it replaced. The Olds V8 was designed to move loaded land barges with awful gearing and good fuel economy. The LS will out do either in the fuel economy department. The LS is even called a gen 3 chevy.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
olds307 and 403 said:
Why are you fighting this? You are comparing apple's to apple's engines. I run Olds because it looks and runs way different. Both the sbc and LS engines are soft down low. I hated my 78 1/2 ton, 2.76 gears with a taller tire sucked. The Olds 307 mopped the floor over the 2 sbc 350's it replaced. The Olds V8 was designed to move loaded land barges with awful gearing and good fuel economy. The LS will out do either in the fuel economy department. The LS is even called a gen 3 chevy.

Mainly because people are saying LS motors can magically do things all the older motors can't ever do (even Olds) which is just plain wrong. Even SBC 350s came in low output configurations with sub 8 CRs, yuck. Just a HO SBC 305 would blow a Olds 307 away since they lack swirll ports and have 9.5 CR let alone a real HO 350 with decent heads and CR. You used to see alot of people pulling HO 305s out of their MCs and swapping in cheap low output 350s out of trucks then complain their car isn't faster :rofl: . The one good thing about LS motors is there doesn't seem to be ultra cheap low output versions of them like SBCs and BOPs had and still do. But I guess the LS fanboys get butthurt when then hear their motor isn't so much better as they want to believe they are as this thread is proving. Is the LS better, yes, is it super dooper ultra mega better to the extreme? no. Is it just only somewhat better using stuff the OEM, rivials, and aftermarket have been using for decades on the older stuff, yes.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Clone, I don't think many people care about fed laws if their state says it's ok. Just ask all the people in Colorado and California buying "legal" weed. It's legal in cal and col but illegal so says the Feds. This topic has gone WAY to far off topic. Saying that, I'm done with this thread.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Decent performance for what it was. Good 8 to 1 compression 307's with normal sized ports and manifolds. Way better in heavy truck with awful gearing than a 8 to 1 sbc 350 it replaced. That said, Olds went massively backwards in 85. Tiny swirl ports and less compression, what a joke. The restrictive exhaust cross over and cat on something that needs horse power like 442, crippled it a lot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor