ls1 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
ok my buddy just came up on a camaro for some money they owed him e said it has an ls1 and he is willing to trade me the whole car for my laptop and $200 lol so my question is is what the heck do i need to do the swap because i am really considering it lol

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
i believe you will need the computer harness and special harness for ur car from painlesswiring.com motor mounts and am not sure on what else crossmember and transmission not 100% sure

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
is the car wrecked? if not sell and buy an lq9... if it is sell the ls1 and bu an lq9

sell ls1, buy lq9, have more hp and more money...

auto or stick car?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
don't know how he'd have more money with an lq9. it's still an LS series engine, and newer and larger at that. pretty sure that'll make it more expensive.
anyway, you'll need special motor mounts, mods to the flexplate/flywheel and possibly the torque converter (unless you go to a 4l60e or newer trans), an electric fuel pump that delivers at least 50psi, ECM, wiring harness, mods to the ECM to remove the security system, possibly a special front drive assembly (some cars have had issues with the LS style drive--alt, p-steering-A/C etc--hitting the body/frame), and things like coolant hoses and A/C lines will need to be mixed and matched. it's not the cheapest way to go, but the LS series is a GREAT power plant.

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
ls1 is aluminum block and always sold overpriced... lq9 is cheaper with more potential...

you'll love the power and mpg you get with a LS swap...

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
kyhunter89 said:
ls1 is aluminum block and always sold overpriced... lq9 is cheaper with more potential...

you'll love the power and mpg you get with a LS swap...
true dat i would take advantage of todays technology

carfreak07

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2010
Brooksville, ky

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
I beleive Heddman Headers makes an engine mount that bolts to the factory mount on the frame to the LS block. Made for A/G body cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor