LSX WITH A 6 SPEED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
im planning on putting a ls engine into my 81 regal, but every day i keep thinking of new ideas! i wanted to know if anyone has ever did a swap not only to a ls engine, but converting from auto to manual. ive seen some posts on converting to an original style 3 or 4 speed or a t5, but im looking for something a little more specific. currently i have a chevy 350 and a th350 in it. that will be there until i can scrape up enough cash to do the swap. ill be looking for a wrecked camaro, firebird, vette with the six spd trans. but if its just too much to handle ill just stay automatic. thanks in advance for the help!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
That would be an expensive but awesome build! I love the idea of a 6 sp for my car and an LS on top of that is even better!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
For the motor mounts, go with the stock SBC mounts with the LS engine mount adapter plates. It will save you lots of time and money. They are adjustable so you can move it forward/rearward to keep the stock driveshaft length depending on everything else of course.

Wiring depends on if you want a carb or keep the EFI. For a manual trans, you will need to use a manual F-body PCM if sticking with the EFI. If you are going with a carb, the MSD controller is the way to go.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
I swapped in an lq9/t56 In my 85 cutlass. I used 1" setback adapter plates for the motor mounts and an iceman t56 crossmember. For the pedal, I bought that from John B on ls1tech.com and you use the cruise control harness hole in the firewall to mount your master cylinder. GSI interiors also makes a clutch pedal for our cars.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
IMO Iceman is the way to go on this swap. I bought the BRP kit and got screwed with the trans crossmember. I learned from my mistake. If I ever do it again, I'll get another Iceman crossmember and the adapter plates.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
thanks agian yall. i figured out most of the engine fitment questions, im just wondering mainly about the transmission swap. hey bigmandengo, was it as straight forward a swap as you make it sound? and is it worth it? as far as expenses go?

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
I thought it was pretty straight forward. If you buy the John B pedal its almost a bolt in. The hole for your master cylinder is already there you just have to drill out 2 holes for the mounting bolts and cut the hole for your shifter. Its not a cheap swap though. To me it was worth it since im running a 3.73 rearend and with the .50 6th gear it runs under 2000rpm at 70mph. If your swapping to an ls platform already go for it. You have to buy new gauges, crossmember and driveshaft if you go with the automatic anyway.

Heres what I paid

trans-1000
iceman crossmember-180
shorten driveshaft-80
pedal -150
clutch-300
gauges-300
f-body master cylinder-300(I used the adjustable tick perf. model. a stock one is cheaper)

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
bigmandengo said:
I thought it was pretty straight forward. If you buy the John B pedal its almost a bolt in. The hole for your master cylinder is already there you just have to drill out 2 holes for the mounting bolts and cut the hole for your shifter. Its not a cheap swap though. To me it was worth it since im running a 3.73 rearend and with the .50 6th gear it runs under 2000rpm at 70mph. If your swapping to an ls platform already go for it. You have to buy new gauges, crossmember and driveshaft if you go with the automatic anyway.

Heres what I paid

trans-1000
iceman crossmember-180
shorten driveshaft-80
pedal -150
clutch-300
gauges-300
f-body master cylinder-300(I used the adjustable tick perf. model. a stock one is cheaper)

now thats what im talkin bout! i can see you being my go to guy for this build! hope you dont mind! what kind of gauges did you buy? ie speedo, fuel, etc..? and the pedal and clutch, did you buy them from a persom or is john b a company? could i get all the stuff i need form a wrecked camaro or something? sorry for all the questions! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor