Idle speed solenoid

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Does anyone have a picture of the idle speed solenoid on the engine code 9 cars? Im trying to see how it is set up and the wiring harness that goes to it

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Mounts with 2 torx head screws to the driver front corner of the carb. ONE green wire with a plug connector. It comes from the small harness running across the front of the intake manifold. Bracket is dual purpose- it holds the solenoid AND is the mount base for the throttle return spring.
85 442 NOS Carburetor.JPG

You can see the green wire and connector below, it's JUST to the left of the orange throttle return spring. The power wire has a tiny little loom all by itself. Look close and you can just make out the rubber boot on the end of the solenoid up under the air cleaner vacuum hoses. That green connector is for your analog dwell meter when setting the mixture control solenoid.
1706672311220.png

Reactions: 2 users

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Ok thank you! It looks like I'm going to have to hunt this wire down in the cluster of wires on the passenger side

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This might help. It's in the A/C circuit. Connect junction S202 according to the CSM electrical book is "center, front of dash". I have forgotten where a lot of these wires originate, so I'm no help. If anyone has done it recently they may recall. Otherwise it's the old trace the wire thing. Hopefully the diagram will help. They call it the "Fast Idle Solenoid" in the drawing. Idle Speed Solenoid, or ISS, everywhere else.

85-ac-system-wiring-diagram-jpg.225078

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, I believe it's a slightly lighter green than the wire hanging off the solenoid. Also, that C497 connector is the 4 way connector on top of the passenger valve cover rear. The one that not so uncommonly melts and messes with your HVAC controls.

Found S202 in the picture section. I think. The electrical book says it's Figure 201-2-E, but it is in the book as 201-7-F. WTF?

AC HVAC S202 Connector Location.jpg

Last edited:

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Oh, I believe it's a slightly lighter green than the wire hanging off the solenoid. Also, that C497 connector is the 4 way connector on top of the passenger valve cover rear. The one that not so uncommonly melts and messes with your HVAC controls.

Found S202 in the picture section. I think. The electrical book says it's Figure 201-2-E, but it is in the book as 201-7-F. WTF?

View attachment 234357
I'm definitely not finding it on here

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Just for tickles and gigles.... wouldnt it be cool if we could do the same with a holley carb, a special made primary meterng block with the same function solenoids but smaller, a pocket CCU(carb control unit) and a wide band 02 sensor to accomplish the same that the OEM ECU had done in the past.

Reactions: 1 user

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Just for tickles and gigles.... wouldnt it be cool if we could do the same with a holley carb, a special made primary meterng block with the same function solenoids but smaller, a pocket CCU(carb control unit) and a wide band 02 sensor to accomplish the same that the OEM ECU had done in the past.
Sounds like an interesting engineering project.

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Mounts with 2 torx head screws to the driver front corner of the carb. ONE green wire with a plug connector. It comes from the small harness running across the front of the intake manifold. Bracket is dual purpose- it holds the solenoid AND is the mount base for the throttle return spring.
View attachment 234355

You can see the green wire and connector below, it's JUST to the left of the orange throttle return spring. The power wire has a tiny little loom all by itself. Look close and you can just make out the rubber boot on the end of the solenoid up under the air cleaner vacuum hoses. That green connector is for your analog dwell meter when setting the mixture control solenoid.
View attachment 234356
Do you know the part # for that part , but 83 Hursts. THANKS
[

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor