Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
Hey Dave ,
i'm doing the same type of swap...
where did you get the cable? AKM sells it 90.00 it's lot of $ if i could get it for 50.00 id like that...

did you convert the harness yourself or idi you get a painless wiring harness or some similar type ?
thanks

Dan

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
My Opinion

The swap is scary at first but actually now that I started its fairly as simple as a sbc swap with more technology. Now it is expensive if you decide to go with the painless wiring kit, and ac relocated kit(as I did) But there are companies such as howell that make harnesses cheaper.I'm using a 255 fuel pump instead of the in-tank style for right now. running all mechanical guages and i plan to order a digital speedometer to coincide with the 4l60e.(not neccersary I just like how digital speedometers look) There is just as much power to be made in the lt1 as the ls1 again this is my opinion so if you could choose I would get a lt1 also make sure its out of a roadmaster, lac, or impala because me personally i think the cast iron heads flow better and thats the main difference in the lt1 you find in the trans am or camaro.

Dec 12, 2008
lt1 78 monte carlo???

my 93 z28 camaro was hit and i want to put the lt1/4l60 e into my 78 landau monte carlo what all would i have to buy engine transmission mounts Etc..?? also what else can i use off the camaro brakes,susp,rear end etc????????
i appreciate any comments thank you,

jason

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
the original motor mounts fit ....
the 7.5" diff internals should fit also

make a search on the subject . take a peak at the upper mentionned link
Dan

86monteNasty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2012
I'm doing the same swap for a 86 Monte Carlo... Besides the above responses has anyone came up with any new accessories for the swap. I want my ac / speedometer / all electronics to work smooth without a carb

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You should be able to use all the factory accessories for an F or Bbody LT1. Corvette accessories are all on the driver's side and I'm not sure if they fit a Gbody or not since Corvettes don't have a steering box. You may or may not need to slightly notch the frame/crossmember for the AC compressor. Some guys say it clears, some say it doesn't. I've done several LT1 swaps but never in a Gbody so I can't say firsthand.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
DRIVEN said:
You should be able to use all the factory accessories for an F or Bbody LT1. Corvette accessories are all on the driver's side and I'm not sure if they fit a Gbody or not since Corvettes don't have a steering box. You may or may not need to slightly notch the frame/crossmember for the AC compressor. Some guys say it clears, some say it doesn't. I've done several LT1 swaps but never in a Gbody so I can't say firsthand.

I've done 2 LT1 swaps. The first one was a 93' 5K mile LT1 Corvette engine from a heat chamber test vehicle (GM sold the car as salvage and required the yard to video tape the car being cut up). This went into my 96' Z71 and I used all the corvette assessories except the AC compressor. I used an F body compressor with a fabricated bracket. The second was a 96' F body LT1 into an 83' Cutlass Supreme. We adjusted the frame rail with a BFH for the AC compressor and used all F body accessories. Both set ups used Accel engine management kits on them (expensive). If I had to do it again, I would use the factory ECM and harness.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you are wanting to do a fuel injected swap on that budget, you need to stick with the LT1 swap :idea: The initial cost of the engine / transmission / computer / wiring will be about half the cost of the LSx swap

GCheif

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2011
Did you ever finish this project? I have an Lt1 that I want to drop into my 1979 Monte carlo, im wondering what can be swaped from the 96Impala? Breaks, drop spindles, rear diff???

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
I went carb version ...... GMPP intake + regular distributor solves it ....

I`ve put the spindles + brakes from the impala on the cutlass ...GREAT for dirt cheap .....no bumpsteer at all

i put some bell lowered springs ....+ EMI straight tubular A-arms ..... geometry is right on !

the car handles real good , brakes are great also ......

diff is too wide ....I went ford 9" from a granada same width ! and the looks ! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor