LT1 swap ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
sorry if this is a common question, but here goes:
i've been researching the LT1/4L60E swap into my '79 MC, possibly using the painless plug 'n' play kit, but have a few questions/concerns that i couldn't find any answers to.

1: what are you guys using for a speedo/gauge cluster? i understand it needs to be an electronic speedo, and i have idiot lights anyway, so i'd like to do something different (hopefully nothing that can be seen advertised on the pages of Chevy High Performance, or Super Chevy) i'm pretty sure i remember seeing a kit to use your factory speedo, but i'm not a big fan of the factory gauge pods anyway.

2: has anyone successfully maintained cruise control with an LT1 swap? obviously i will have to use the factory harness, instead of the painless (unless painless has provisions for cruise, and i overlooked that) and do something about the VATS which brings me to my next question:

3: what kind of setups have you seen as far as controlling cruise? i don't like the old GM way of putting the controls on the turn signal, and would like to see something different. i am not totally opposed to the factory style CC, especially if i can find a good camaro interior for my swap and use the column out of that.

thanks in advance for the input, guys, take care.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
holy sh*t! your sig is exactly what i had in mind, with the exception of the bumper inlays, i'd like to find a way to smooth them out!

that is gorgeous!!! i love it. do you have an album anywhere that i could see some more pics?

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
yourownself said:
holy sh*t! your sig is exactly what i had in mind, with the exception of the bumper inlays, i'd like to find a way to smooth them out!

I've seen it done and it looks good..lots of work but I liked the end result. Its too bad the damn strips are so hard to come by - if someone actually made them like factory I think they'd cash in.

Thanks for words too!

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
As far as using the painless harness goes I would pass. Just my opinion but you can swap everything you need from the donor car, ecm, harness, cruise, etc. That is of course if you don't mnd spending the time to sit down with some wiring diagrams and do some research on the forums. My swap was out of a B-Body and I did not keep the cruise or ac but thats just me. I also got rid of most emissions controls and sent the ecm out for a tune. That is money well spent, just give the tuner as much detail as you can, shift points, emissions components you are deleting, rev limiter, vats, etc. Dakota Digital makes some pretty trick stuff for retaining your stock speedo if you go that route, I just ordered an Autometer electric one that I can calibrate depending on what set of tires I am running or gear ratio. I hope some of this is more helpful than just rambling. If you have any other questions just pm me, or just throw it out there, the people on here are very helpful.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
do you have a gallery or build thread? i'd like to see your setup. i personally want to keep all the creature comforts like cruise and a/c, as i have a house full of women, and it'll be a summer only car. i don't plan to keep the emission controls, but don't want to adversely affect my gas mileage either way. i'm not really going to be racing or competing, but more power is most certainly a desired effect!
i'd love to see how you have your gauges mounted too. i'd like mine to look clean and like it could have come from the factory that way.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
so you are planning on doing like a factory set up? sometimes that is kinda neat. 8)

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
No pics of the gauges but I have some of the cam and spring install I did.
DSC00184.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00150.jpg
[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor