Maaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof 79 said:
I had my car done about 15+ yrs ago at Maaco. I removed the grille, lights, fillers, etc. I could have prepped it a little better, but the actual paint job came out pretty decent. I had overspray on the glass, tires, etc. which I had to clean up myself.
I did cut corners in the body work, and of course it showed afterward.. :?
They used a cheap Dupont acrylic enamel. I gave them the fillers to do, but they didn't do them. They handed them back with a quart of paint. I ended up painting them myself along with the rear air deflector.
This time I'm painting it myself with single stage urethane. I'm hoping for the best. :wink:

Maaco shops are a franchise, so the level of work varies from shop to shop. If you do most of the prep work yourself, and pay for better paint, you might have good results like the '80 Malibu pictured above...which looks really nice.
They certainly didn't use sealer on mine. They did a quick scuff and off it went to the spray booth.
Aah, The old "Drive By Shooting".... :lol:

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
It also depends on the painter a persons that cares and someone that doesn't, look at there work and try differnt maaoc's

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
marz442 said:
It also depends on the painter a persons that cares and someone that doesn't, look at there work and try differnt maaoc's

Ironically, I ended up taking my stuff to a high end shop and I am paying twice as much. I just couldn't convince myself I would be happy with Maaco's results. Part of my decision was based on the fact the guy I am working with now is allowing me to do some of the work and is mentoring me at the same time.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
i had my 74 nova painted at maaco . i had all the body work and parts stripped down and prepped,all they had to do was mask,primmer and paint . it turned out amazing but i feel i got such agood job because i talked at length a few times with the manager. being informed and able to relay my expectations with out coming off as arogant goes along way.they knew that if they cut corners i would call them out on it.you get what you pay for so be realistic and dont expect a show car for 500 dollars.I sold the car about 2 years later and it still looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor