Malibu 1978 on the road again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muroc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2014
Hello,

My name is David, I'm 42, I live in Belgium.
I'm in the car hobby since I'm 16 years old. I started with aircooled beetles and the hobby became my job as I opened a restoration and parts shop with a friend.
I had always been in love with american cars since the age of 12, but the beetles were more available at the time....

I bought my first US car in 1999, a friend of mine brought me a 72 Buick Skylark Coupe from California. I still have it and it is now equipped with an ATI procharger, 4 BAER discs brakes, tubular arms, locking diff, 17" salt flat wheels, and so on....
In 2006 I bought a neglected 1968 Pontiac Catalina Station Wagon (imported in Belgium in 1970) , I lowered it on 17" Cragar 390N wheels.
In 2010 I bought a 71 El Camino, that I restored with a new paint and 18"matt black OZ wheels....
I sold it in 2013 and bought a 78 Dodge B200 maxivan that needed some TLC....and a new shaggy interior !! :lol:

You can see them on this page (with my watercooled VW and some ex-cars) : http://westcoastgarage.blogspot.be/

A friend of mine , my ex partner of the VW shop, (who still owns it) has recently bought a Chevy G20 Van, and seems more and more interested in US cars as this summer he made a trip to Arkansas to buy a 79 Malibu Wagon V8 , 4 speed, he made a road trip and drove it to Florida to put it in a container.

As I was looking in the local add website, I saw a 78 Malibu wagon for sale, I set an appointement and went to see it. It was sitting for 20 years, only driving once a time in the driveway. It had previously been used in a funeral company to wear flowers so no modifications had been made to the body or inside and it never saw a coffin... :wink:
It is a V6 3.3L engine with auto gearbox, the odometer read 5000 km but it is surely 105.000km.
The body has some surface rust but needs no welding. The only modifications are the vinyl top, amber front turn signals on the front wings (necessary in Belgium when you have a hitch) and a very ugly rear fog light :evil:

The car started but was loud because of the rusted muffler, I bought it for 900 euros (+-1200$) and drove it home.....
On the way home the radiator gave up the ghost, and I had to stop by a friend's house where it sat until I fitted the old radiator from my Buick (which has more cores than the V6 but has the same dimensions as the Malibu's one !) .
I finally managed to bring the malibu home last saturday.

I join some pictures of the Malibu, which by the way drives very nicely and smoothly.

I plan to check and replace all mechanical parts that need it, to make it reliable, and it will perhaps became my daily driver.....I'm thinking about a new paint and some wheels..... :mrgreen:

My friend 's 79 Malibu :

Thnaks for reading me

regards

David

Attachments

• 20141214_140219.jpg
    20141214_140219.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 20141214_140231.jpg
    20141214_140231.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 638
  • 20141214_140259.jpg
    20141214_140259.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 621
  • 609426_3.jpg
    609426_3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,482
Photoshop with BBS wheels....

But still needs a nice paint :wink:

Attachments

• malibuuuucool.JPG
    malibuuuucool.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 629
Welcome aboard, David.
Always good to see more enthusiasts from across the pond. Nice score on the '78 Malibu wagon. It's looking good with it's new (photoshopped) wheels. Your friends wagon looks pretty nice as well. Your '72 Buick Skylark sounds bad to the bone...love those cars...I had a '71.
and was also an air cooled VW enthusiast.

*BTW, I'm still looking for Malibu wagon Euro. lenses. If you happen to come across a set, or a good right side lens, let me know.
Here's what they look like. Same style as the '78 lens, only that it uses an amber turn signal/ hazard lens.

Welcome David

Welcome David, Warning many of us are afflicted (automobile bug) here and it could be contagious! You may all ready have symptoms? Bob Jr.

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for your welcome :wink:

David

Hi guys,

My friend with his blue 79 is very disappointed, he has bought his car on pictures from KC CLassic auto in KS .

http://www.kcclassicauto.com/1979_Chevr ... 22-Lg.html

Look at the description and the pictures, and the price !

In fact when the car arrived overhere, the right wheelwell was completly rusted, as the rear floors under the rear seat and the rear section of the frame ! And the front floors have been patched very badly !

Concerning my 78, I removed the vinyl top, the roof is a little bit scratched but the Malibu is a lot nicer than with the dark roof.
I should received the new radiator and other parts this week, I hope to have it on the road next week.

David

118817201502141617202.jpg

75645520150214161824.jpg

Some improvement on the Malibu, the vinyl top is gone, the original tyres had a flat spot so I fitted BBS style wheels, because I missed 4 Camaro IrocZ 16" wheels with tyres for 220$ !! 🙁

Which automatic gearbox were fitted on these cars? I think I have a lock up converter...

61954520150213080444.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor