Malibu 5.3 swap HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
Ok quick rundown. I'm swapping a 5.3 into a '78 Malibu. I'm using Trans Dapt 1" setback plates, factory Malibu motor mounts and the factory Malibu V8 pads are still bolted to the frame side. The drivers side is lined up and the bolt is in. This is the passengers side mount. Pic is looking from the front of the car at the mount. Any ideas why this isn't lining up?
photo (2).JPG

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
Anyone? Am I the only one with this problem?

79Hurst

Apprentice
Dec 19, 2014
No, you are not. I am having the same issue. It's basically the added width of the plates won't allow the clamshell to sit in the right spot, so I took a small 3/4" holesaw and opened up both sides so when the shell sits down in there I can slide bolts through. It's a PITA and maybe cutting corners, but to keep costs down on my end I chose to do it this way. There may be more options for us out there, just too lazy and/or frugal :)

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
Lol Ok glad I'm not the only one. I got it to fit. I took a reem to each hole and re-tightened the bottom of the mounts. 3 guys, 2 big pry bars and 1 BF hammer, it fits. Hope I don't have to take it out anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor