Malibu bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

79BuWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
Vancouver Wa
Thank you for your complements.
I could fully understand the concept of being retired and sticking to a tight budget. I know $$ doesn't roll in like it did when being gainfully employed, and social security doesn't pay a whole heck of a lot. Being our age, it's not easy finding work. You could try reinventing yourself and start your own business of some sort. I have tried finding work, but to no avail. No one wants to hire people over 50 anymore , (never mind being over 60) when they can find younger people for less money. The older you get, the harder it becomes.
Let's face it, you have to be creative in this life. I didn't go back to work since quitting my last job. I just had enough of their micro managing bullshit. I might have been hasty in my decision, but there's no looking back...regrets perhaps. It's always hard when you're used to a regular paycheck. Fortunately there's no kids to put thru college, etc., so I have that in my favor.

I personally don't think the Malibu will be the Tri-five of the future, but I may be wrong. Maybe more like the '60's-'70's Chevelle. Time will tell.
Good luck finding a solution to get your car in happy driving mode again. I would start with the mechanicals first and go from there.You'll at least be able to drive the car while you're putting it back together...unless you have a beater you could use while the wagon is laid up. My car also was my daily driver for over 20 yrs.
Thank you for your complements.
I could fully understand the concept of being retired and sticking to a tight budget. I know $$ doesn't roll in like it did when being gainfully employed, and social security doesn't pay a whole heck of a lot. Being our age, it's not easy finding work. You could try reinventing yourself and start your own business of some sort. I have tried finding work, but to no avail. No one wants to hire people over 50 anymore , (never mind being over 60) when they can find younger people for less money. The older you get, the harder it becomes.
Let's face it, you have to be creative in this life. I didn't go back to work since quitting my last job. I just had enough of their micro managing bullshit. I might have been hasty in my decision, but there's no looking back...regrets perhaps. It's always hard when you're used to a regular paycheck. Fortunately there's no kids to put thru college, etc., so I have that in my favor.

I personally don't think the Malibu will be the Tri-five of the future, but I may be wrong. Maybe more like the '60's-'70's Chevelle. Time will tell.
Good luck finding a solution to get your car in happy driving mode again. I would start with the mechanicals first and go from there.You'll at least be able to drive the car while you're putting it back together...unless you have a beater you could use while the wagon is laid up. My car also was my daily driver for over 20 yrs.

79BuWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
Vancouver Wa
thought since this went off topic .. id send ya a conversation if that works for you ...

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; You two sound like me, I may be the senior here living on Soc Sec. As my IRA was decimated in 2001 & again in 2007-08 as the good job disappeared December of 2000, I was 54. Ya, odd jobs & my spare parts bank has carried the day along with some old Parker pens I had inherited. The most valuable pen & some spare parts built my fresh engine back in 2004. Anyway go take a look at the bumper covers on my thread as I finally posted some pictures of that time period. I'm just about out of spare parts & pens now so mod & maintenance days are winding down as age & old body are winding up. Take care, Ol'e Bob.

79BuWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
Vancouver Wa
Greetings Guys; You two sound like me, I may be the senior here living on Soc Sec. As my IRA was decimated in 2001 & again in 2007-08 as the good job disappeared December of 2000, I was 54. Ya, odd jobs & my spare parts bank has carried the day along with some old Parker pens I had inherited. The most valuable pen & some spare parts built my fresh engine back in 2004. Anyway go take a look at the bumper covers on my thread as I finally posted some pictures of that time period. I'm just about out of spare parts & pens now so mod & maintenance days are winding down as age & old body are winding up. Take care, Ol'e Bob.
Well i like to think of myself as a rat in a maze ... I never give up ...but lately here the resolve has gotten a little tattered ... thanks to you and LR , youve given me a boost .... thanks guys ... and actually im surprised you two being oldsters are into the G body stuff , most our age see these cars as redheaded step children ya know ... :)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm glad to hear that you're hangin' in there. Bob and I are longtime owners, Bob longer than me, plus he's an original owner. I got my car back in '85 and pretty much used it as a daily driver while I made improvements over the years. In later years, as it was starting to get rougher looking, it was either get rid of the car and find something else, or go whole hog and get it presentable looking again...I chose the latter. I don't regret it.
So...if you need encouragement, you've come to the right place.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i can under stand the budget constraints and I'm not at all good with working metal and having it look good. one suggestion i have is to look into swapping the bumper shocks with shorter ones. yes, different gbodies came with different length bumper shocks. i did this on my first 79 cutlass 25 years ago, i know it doesn't address the narrowing but i had to compromise. the other suggestion i have is if you like this idea but can't find the right shock is to remove the shock and release the pressure by drilling a hole in the side. you can then adjust the length you want and weld them in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor