Malibu Wagon Help.

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
Hey what's up guys. So I just got this 79 Malibu Wagon from some guy that has had it in is family for at least 18 years. It used to be his dads car then he used it for a shop car, was parked and has been sitting for a while now, and he said it ran and drove when he parked it. I have yet to see that. The car has a V6 200 with a 3 speed manual and I am looking to do an LS swap with a 4 speed T10.... now my question is, cause I haven't actually measured anything, when the LS is in and the trans is in, will this all fit without having to relocate the shifter hole? I really don't want to cut anything on this car. I will be using Dirty Dingo LS swap engine mounts if that helps any. Any and all input helps. Thanks in advance.

c23racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2023
IMG_8949.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

c23racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2023
Hey what's up guys. So I just got this 79 Malibu Wagon from some guy that has had it in is family for at least 18 years. It used to be his dads car then he used it for a shop car, was parked and has been sitting for a while now, and he said it ran and drove when he parked it. I have yet to see that. The car has a V6 200 with a 3 speed manual and I am looking to do an LS swap with a 4 speed T10.... now my question is, cause I haven't actually measured anything, when the LS is in and the trans is in, will this all fit without having to relocate the shifter hole? I really don't want to cut anything on this car. I will be using Dirty Dingo LS swap engine mounts if that helps any. Any and all input helps. Thanks in advance.
The
The picture below is a car that I built myself the LS sat right down in it with no issues at all. If you hook up your air condition and using your original AC equipment, you will have to have a line made for the high pressure the rest of them are easy to do. I used 350 turbo transmission and did not modify anything other than the linkage at the transmission

Attachments

• IMG_8949.jpeg
    IMG_8949.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9323.jpeg
    IMG_9323.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8909.jpeg
    IMG_8909.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8952.jpeg
    IMG_8952.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8953.jpeg
    IMG_8953.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8950.jpeg
    IMG_8950.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Unless you have the T10 already, I'd go TKO or T56 mainly because of what's going to be involved with getting that T10 to work behind the LS Engine.

The T56 shifter location in my SS came out in the perfect spot, right in the middle of the Center Console.

O3z95sH-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
The

The picture below is a car that I built myself the LS sat right down in it with no issues at all. If you hook up your air condition and using your original AC equipment, you will have to have a line made for the high pressure the rest of them are easy to do. I used 350 turbo transmission and did not modify anything other than the linkage at the transmission

Sweet! I didn't know about the AC line, thank you for the info. I have a 4 speed manual that will be installed. I dont want to cut up the car which is why I was asking about that. What type of oil pan and motor mounts did you use?

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
Unless you have the T10 already, I'd go TKO or T56 mainly because of what's going to be involved with getting that T10 to work behind the LS Engine.

The T56 shifter location in my SS came out in the perfect spot, right in the middle of the Center Console.

View attachment 233419
Man, that looks good. I do have the T10 and the bellhousing for it already, so that wont be an issue. I believe the position of the shifter is a bit different on the Malibu from your SS? My Malibu has a bench seat up front from factory with the factory 3 speed and it is not center to the hump, it is offset a bit to the drivers side if I remember correctly. The reason I would like to put something that fits in the same shifter hole is cause I really dont want to cut anything on this car.

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
T10 might put it in the proper location or close to it. Here is what the T56 looks like, good bit longer.
Yes'ir. I have a T10 and bellhousing already. The shifter location on the T56 will fit on the stock location for a floor sh*t auto. The 3 and 4 speed wagons, not sure if its the same for the others, have the shifter hole up further it looks like and its not center to the hump. It is offset to the drivers side.

This is not my car or picture, just for an example of the location of the shifter.

XYfp62kOSwjfT8-YaoOu4-Dbx8gibWoh_pON0vS1q_8Ms-pSVTSWa6GrwWNxb0ogn1U2-2WV52A9bJf9NCFDt5pVkHRaGlbzSUaV_l5E59Yaw-_IZ--b0KiE4Ety2c5aZNYeAIk_qJbyKg2Upg

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
Yes'ir. I have a T10 and bellhousing already. The shifter location on the T56 will fit on the stock location for a floor sh*t auto. The 3 and 4 speed wagons, not sure if its the same for the others, have the shifter hole up further it looks like and its not center to the hump. It is offset to the drivers side.

This is not my car or picture, just for an example of the location of the shifter.

XYfp62kOSwjfT8-YaoOu4-Dbx8gibWoh_pON0vS1q_8Ms-pSVTSWa6GrwWNxb0ogn1U2-2WV52A9bJf9NCFDt5pVkHRaGlbzSUaV_l5E59Yaw-_IZ--b0KiE4Ety2c5aZNYeAIk_qJbyKg2Upg

Here is a side view of that.

1980-chevrolet-malibu-classic-sport-factory-4-speed-1-of-202-produced-3.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor