79 Malibu wagon fender question

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Decided to put the fender wells back in my wagon after putting new heads on. Drivers side went in fine. The passenger side I had a question on and wanted to run it by you guys that are more familiar with these cars. All of the smaller outer 10mm screws went right in but the bigger 13 mm’s with the big washers on the passenger side are giving me pause. The first picture is just the area in question. The second picture with the arrow is looking down at the fender and the 3rd picture is the drivers side area in question. The pictures probably aren’t the best but I tried to capture how there’s a bow in the passenger fender where the bigger 13mm screws screw into the clips. I just wanted to ask if that should be bowed out before I get inside and sit on the intake and start pressing against the fender with my foot. I didn’t want to bend it all to hell if it’s supposed to be like that and I have an issue elsewhere which is very likely. Thanks
IMG_7923.jpeg
IMG_7924.jpeg
IMG_7922.jpeg

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
are you using a bolt with the threads all the way to the pointed end ? the drives side bolt looks to short is it tight ? you might have to short of a bolt

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Yes. I guess I could have mentioned that every bolt in both fender wells are still loose so I can wiggle it around to get all the holes lined up. The passenger side holes line up except for 3-4 where the bow in question is. It’s tough to get a picture of. I’m assuming it’s bent but I don’t know for sure

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
you are doing it right leaving them loose until all are started. the fender could be bowed. in picture number 2 it looks like i can see daylight thought the clip thats enough to get a bolt thats threaded to the point started i always ran them in with an air ratchet best of luck

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
That’s just plastic you can see through the clip in picture 2. The bolt hole is a little to the left where you can’t see. I’m probably just going to give it a nice push with my foot.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Before you kick it, see if the fender itself is a little bent across the wheel arch. Eyeball across the hood lines and front/back. A little gentle lift at the radiator support end might flex the wheel arch enough to pull that bow back out. A hint is if the lip at the fender liner mating surface is bent up or down.

Reactions: 1 user

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Another issue is back in 1999 or so when my dad, brother, and I originally started messing with the car every panel on the front was taken off and the bare frame was painted. While I was putting the heads on I kept glancing around under the hood and noticed just how many of the original screws/bolts were missing every where. I already loosened up the new body bushing/core support bolts that I put on. Maybe someone with a Malibu will see my post and clarify

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Might be the picture but the inside of that passenger fender looks bent out.

79 El Camino so same parts as your wagon.
79 inside fender1.jpg

79 inside fender2.jpg

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Yep I think that’s exactly what’s going on. No one in the family can remember that far back and I don’t know of anyone else personally that has one to compare. I’ll probably crawl up in there and start gently pressing on it with my foot to see what happens. Thanks a bunch Elcam

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I wouldn't use the foot method I would remove the inner fender and clamp a board to the flat areas and then use clamps to pull the bent area back in. Might need to shim the flat areas a little since you need to go a tiny bit past flat to get it bent flat.

Use lots of clamps to spread the load so you don't add more problems.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor