Man, I hate being broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Haa, my Son's a mechanic. Now if he would only have the time and patience to properly fix his own car. He gets me parts for the shop cost but I won't let him touch my own cars.

Reactions: 1 users

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
My oldest from first marriage is 29 now. 2nd kid on the way, in his second house. Has a Versa-Lift franchise now but got his Red Seal certification as an auto mechanic by 22. He hung out with me his whole childhood watching me wrench on everything, but mostly 5.0l mustangs. Says that there was never anything else he wanted to do but work on cars. Until he spent a few years at a Ford dealership and has now switched to servicing forklifts and such.
Keep them interested I say. My current kids 16&10 are all about the cars having seen that every vehicle we have is built by me. We run 2 restaurants and can afford new, but I cannot justify spending as much on a truck as I can buy a small house or acreage in the mountains with. So 96 Yukons, 90 F350 diesels, 81 olds and 20 others like them are the vehicles in our yard.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I'd love to say "well you should have wrapped it better" but l shouldn't talk as l got 6 girls.

I thought when they left home that would be the end of the big dollar issues, ya NOT! Not even going to get into that can of worms! I will say l hope there 40's are more fruitful for them or l won't make it pass my 60's!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What they want for a new truck is robbery. Really, 70K+ for a 1/2 ton truck? Our Challenger at 40K was enough but it will wipe the floor with almost any new truck, AWD, 35 mpg highway and just a fun car to drive. I miss the burning off the tires feeling with my old cars, neither will peel the skin off a grape. I also need to change the intake gasket and find the stuck lifter in 70.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Couldn't even think of affording a new car when the kids were home. First new vehicle was a 2007 Silverado 4x4 that was $27025.00 out the door. (still have it, like new) . "Really, 70K+ for a 1/2 ton truck?"
that must a hell of a truck - don't think I've seen an MSPR that high although Ford comes close.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Come to Canada. I saw a quote for a loaded GMC was nearly $72,000, over a year ago. Ford is also up there, Dodge is a bit cheaper. One guy was a GM guy for years. He bought new loaded to the max 2019 Dodge for cheaper with a very nice trade in 2011 Avalanche. He said there was a good $2000 difference in price. My Challenger sticker price was $46+, they knocked it down to 40 and gave us $7500 for our rough 2010 OK equipped 2010 Dodge Challenger SE. It needed new struts all around, the fuel sender needed swapped, so dropping the tank. The 3.5 was using oil, 1 liter every 4000 km, was getting worse with a bad tick. The driver's seat was badly cracked and I could only find a good top replacement, the bottom would have cost nearly $500 alone. Plus it was starting to get rust issues. It is tight having a car payment again, but this car is so awesome and it is my wife's car. She makes 80K a year and doesn't demand much. Plus I like a car we can jump in a not check a thing and drive 5 hours. I wouldn't trust anything else I own that much.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
My new Malibu - leased for $160.00 / month. Save $90.00/month in fuel over the truck - no brainer
IMG_5826.JPG

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My new Malibu - leased for $160.00 / month. Save $90.00/month in fuel over the truck - no brainer View attachment 113273
Another reason I hate trucks. Even my 4100 pound Challenger kills them in a race and fuel mileage. For a GM product, that looks nice.

Last edited:

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I’m new to this forum but I can identify with you guys, I had three boys though. The two oldest are gone and each have two of their own. My youngest is 19, special needs and still at home going to school full time. It was tough when they were all three at home but has gotten much better financially in recent years. Enough so that I was able to afford finally, a pretty clean (Idaho) 78 Pontiac GP SJ, 454, 700R4 project a couple months back. Now I hope the OT at work keeps up to finish the car? I’m a crane operator in a steel mill.
531B97EA-7473-4253-A77C-8D8BD88DDDDB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor