Manifold confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticsam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2013
I have an 85 Cutlass Salon, 307. The heads are stamped 7A, which are...correct me if I'm wrong...the small "swirl" port heads. My manifold is stamped A4. I thought the A4 manifolds only came on the 5A heads. Is this the same manifold? Would the ports match the 69, 5 headed 350 that is going into the car? I was going to buy a Performer, but if its a properly sized A4, I'll keep that. After all, the 350 was a 2bbl engine, and I'm not changing cams or anything...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It should, you will know when you pull it, should be a big difference in port size. Are the 7 and the A, the same size? Weird someone would swap intakes on a swirl port 307. Maybe they stripped a fitting and thought all 307's were the same intake wise.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The A4 can be used on the 350 without issues if you like. The A5 should have been matched with those 7A heads. I agree it must've been one of those Olds V8 is an Olds V8- it bolted on so it has to work type of approach.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
No big benefit to buy a performer compared to the A-4, both aluminum, both flow about the same and weigh about the same, difference is you can trip over one at the yards or pay $200-$300 for a name on the other.

celticsam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2013
Just very odd...this car was bought from the original owner who was anything but a car enthusiast, and looks to have been totally untouched (and poorly serviced). It has the AIR injection ports in the heads but the A4 is clearly on the manifold. Its a bonus to me...but a mystery as well. I guess it would be to much to wish for to hope the exhaust manifolds would be large port as well....(they are not the tubular style...)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If they are cast iron, they are large port. Unless you have a very early model 85 where they were using up early 307 parts, which I doubt, check the block casting # above the water pump. Something is strange here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor