Manual swap

Aug 15, 2024
Hi I’m looking for some help. I am thinking about swapping out my auto for a 4speed in my 83 el Camino . I think a 3 groove Saginaw might work with my rear end it’s a 2.41. My confusion at the moment is the type of shifter and mounting kit . There is like a million choices . I want to keep my bench seat. Any thoughts would be appreciated . Thanks!

Definitely mount the shifter on the floor of the body. Putting it on the side of the transmission will result in incessant rattling, no matter how smooth the engine is. Since you might sometimes have a short driver, put it far enough forward for the seat to go to its farthest forward position. Get an acetylene torch and braze together , i.e. fabricate, the necessary linkage.

Your gear ratios sound good to me. With a 3.50X2.41 you will have a nice first gear; not so high that it requires excessive slipping of the clutch, but not so low that you need to shift up as soon as you get moving. A 2.41 axle will give good mileage on the highway.
The GM floor shifter from the donor car would be a good choice.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor