Manual Transmission Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I hope this is the right section for this. I came across a conversion pedal/clutch kit for the Gbodies and it just dawned on me that the clutch system is not hydraulic...its an assembly of levers and linkages which go straight to the clutch fork. This makes the swap seem MUCH more straight forward since I dont have to drill and mount a master cylinder etc.

Before I ramble too much, I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with a how-to for this conversion. What I have yet to figure out is which trannys will not support this linkage-clutch set up. Originally I was looking for an s10 t5 or fbody t5 but I'm not sure if those require a hydraulic clutch or what.

I'll settle for a 4 speed, they are just hard to find.

thanks

edit- I did find some how-to's.

http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/
http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/fivespeed.shtml
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is a hole in the firewall below the brake boost which is where the wires for the cruise control passed thro the wall. That`s the location for the master cylinder for a hydraulic set up which seems simpler to me for the conversion. The clutch pedal you have can be used for the linkage or the hydraulic.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
sweet, thats good news. Your right...hydraulic is simpler in theory since all you have to do is run the line from master to slave. I just didnt realize there was even room for that on the firewall. Regardless...if that is the difference in hard to find 4 speed saginaws and readily accessible t5's I will go that route.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm converting mine with a T5 WC ..Jman has already converted his and he said it 's not that hard to do. It just takes some time. One other thing you'll need is to shorten your drive shaft by 3"

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Sorry I'm not familiar with the acronym "WC". So I guess its not very appealing to mess with the Saginaw or Muncie 4 speeds? It sounds like everyone goes straight to the 5 speeds. Your using a hydraulic set up with the stock pedals like you said?

I know its do-able I'm just not familiar with the different variations/what parts I should be looking for.

edit- Ohhh, I just saw "World Class"

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Saginaws aren't really sought after because of the limited amount of power they can handle.

Muncies are awesome, but are getting rather expensive these days.

The T5, or even the T56 makes for a good swap because of the overdrive and they're a bit easier to find.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Chillin014 said:
Sorry I'm not familiar with the acronym "WC". So I guess its not very appealing to mess with the Saginaw or Muncie 4 speeds? It sounds like everyone goes straight to the 5 speeds. Your using a hydraulic set up with the stock pedals like you said?

I know its do-able I'm just not familiar with the different variations/what parts I should be looking for.

edit- Ohhh, I just saw "World Class"

The pedals I'm using are from a 3rd generation Camaro. The only difference is the two bottom holes need to be moved about an inch down. The one thing you should change on the hydraulic system is to change the hose to a braided metal hose. The problem with the OEM line is that it's close to the exhaust so the heat could burn a hole thought the OEM line.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Blake442 said:
Saginaws aren't really sought after because of the limited amount of power they can handle.

Muncies are awesome, but are getting rather expensive these days.

The T5, or even the T56 makes for a good swap because of the overdrive and they're a bit easier to find.

Okay thanks, I think I remember hearing about that. Maybe I wont even bother with the Saginaw then. The t5's can still be used with both the hydraulic and non-hydraulic clutch set up though right? depending on the bellhousing?

Pontiacgp- I hear ya, I got lucky and snagged some from an El Camino yesterday. Braided hose sounds better to me anyway for firmer pedal feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor