GBOTM March 2024 GBOTM Nominations Thread - Enter NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's that time again, and, we're going to honor a little something in the spirit of Longroof79 for our next contest...

One of the things that make our gbodies so great is how easy they are to put your own custom touches on a car. Take our winning car from last month, among its many attributes are its hand-built frenched bumpers. Not everyone on the street notices or appreciates the work and dedication that went into them, but, for those who are aware, the passion for the car is clearly evident.

That's brings us to this month's theme: custom modification. Entries need at leaat TWO pictures, one of the car overall, and one showcasing the modification(s) you'd like our members to base their vote upon.

This doesn't NEED to be hand-made by you. It *could* be in the vein of MrSony and his center console... or it could be a manual trans swap, a unique engine transplant, etc etc where you just had the vision and bought pieces to install. Some cars, and I'm thinking of you mclellan83 as an example are chock full of modifications, and that's good too, but, we wouldn't be able to feature separate pics of everything you've done so it'd need to be a zoomed out view or two at the most for the voting thread in addition to the exterior shot due to attachment limits.

Just give us a little explanation of what you did, your vision, and, works in progress are a-o-k as long as they're substantially completed.

We've got a TON of great cars that should fit this contest, so, hopefully we hit a good number of cars quickly so we can move onto voting.

So, post em up guys, and let's see how many wagons throw their hats in the ring to try to extend their early dominance in this year's voting!

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I think mine is more the cautionary tale of what not to do, hahaha. But I bought it with the intentions of restomodding to the fullest with all the latest tech, I had an 87 Monte SS I had bought that was supposed to be fresh paint. But turned out that it was painted over dents and dings, but was solid as a base to build what I had in my head so I bought it anyways since I had made the long trip down to get it. So while putting together my build plans I had seen this Monte on some of the Facebook G body pages, then had seen it come up for sale over in Ohio. Since I didn't like the wheels that were on it and a few people had no showed, I made an offer to buy it but bring my own wheels which he accepted just to get it over with. I already had the TR6060 I had purchased for the first Monte ready to mount to a 408 stroker that I was going to buy off a buddy and put an LSA blower on. Once the machine shop got the block they said they would not build it out the way I had hoped so decided to scrap that plan. Luckily it had a really nice sounding 350 SBC in it so I then decided to put a Sniper on which at that timeI had thought was the best of the options of Fuel Injecting an old motor. Then decided to build out all the custom touches and electronics of modern cars, which has been nothing but trouble but when it is right is a fun car to drive
20200718_233614.jpg
20200528_194953.jpg
20231217_144117.jpg
20230924_100334.jpg
20230621_211003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I cram an LS Engine in everything so that's the norm for me. The most head turning aspect of my SS has been the T56 swap. I built the car late 2010 and have refined it since then, the original build went on the road with a T56 in the car. Was one of 20 known LS/T56 cars at the time.

I have a whole build thread on the T56 Swap. Built my own Clutch Pedal and got it all to work with LS Fbody Hydraulics. Bought an LS Fbody T56 and built that up with some good parts to handle the abuse. Definitely a fun car.🤘

20221123_164339.jpg

O3z95sH-1.jpg

zXjaar0.jpg

T56 6spd.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 83" Monte came as a CL with a half vinyl top and lots of chrome, I converted it to look more like an SS.
I have done everything but paint on this car which includes building the 565 Big Block and making all of the brackets etc. also making a custom interior and gauge set up, building the roll bar etc. but the thing that seems to amaze people is my exhaust which I built using 4-1/2" tubing and making an H pipe with V-band clamps going through a pair of Flowmaster 4.5" Top Ten drag mufflers and then building removable 4" tail pipes that go over the axle and are rigid mounted and I raised the rear footwells for clearance, this was a huge improvement in sound going from my dumps to this.
I am also a big fan of using braided hose and I also like to polish all of my aluminum.

20230901_190134.jpg

IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: 8 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Custom? I'm out! :)
Oh, I dont know...

Not the sexiest of customizations to the masses but I know a guy who makes his own decals and hand inks part numbers onto newer production parts, which, technically falls within the rules too...

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So, post em up guys, and let's see how many wagons throw their hats in the ring to try to extend their early dominance in this year's voting!
Wow there are some incredible custom jobs going on here. I am sure there are plenty more so let's see what you did! Especially wagons!!

I know, I know, I can't enter the Bonnewagon. But look what I did with regular old GM/Pontiac parts. I used a 1980 GP/GA silver dash, 1978 only silver gauges, 1977 Firebird console, Saginaw 4 speed manual trans, Firebird Hurst shifter, 1994 Firebird Formula seats, 1979 Pontiac formula steering wheel, [I have kept that wheel for many years now because someone removed the Firebird wings and replaced it with a St. Christopher medal.] So far it has kept me safe.

IMG_0961.JPG

Reactions: 10 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Wow there are some incredible custom jobs going on here. I am sure there are plenty more so let's see what you did! Especially wagons!!

I know, I know, I can't enter the Bonnewagon. But look what I did with regular old GM/Pontiac parts. I used a 1980 GP/GA silver dash, 1978 only silver gauges, 1977 Firebird console, Saginaw 4 speed manual trans, Firebird Hurst shifter, 1994 Firebird Formula seats, 1979 Pontiac formula steering wheel, [I have kept that wheel for many years now because someone removed the Firebird wings and replaced it with a St. Christopher medal.] So far it has kept me safe.

View attachment 236827
Reminds me of how the skunkworks guys used to build prototypes out of parts bins for other cars in the lineup to save on R&D and get the bean counters to approve projects... which is exactly how the Fiero got the greenlight. Picture of what Pontiac could've done, and, I like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor