Me and my Monte, 1978!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
well ive been lurking the boards for a while now, but this will be my formal introduction. im from the Oklahoma city metro area, and ive recently acquired a 1978 monte carlo. my grandmother bought it brand new (the only new car she ever had), and gave it to my dad when she passed on. my dad drove it for many years and still to this day wouldnt sell it for a million dollars. but for the past 7 years or so it has just sat. so im picking up the reigns at the 200k mile mark and plan to have some fun with it like the rest of my family has.

i want to make it look basically stock, with only aftermarket wheels, and some current technology. i took some pictures today for my official "before" pics. i actually just replaced the headlights, but thats it so far.

the pictures actually make it look like its in better shape than it really is.. lol :cry:

DSC01842.jpg

DSC01843.jpg

DSC01844.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

DSC01841.jpg
[/img]

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
well its a good car to start with, i can understand the reason never to sell it cause of being the families car. My 78 is the same way my mom new the guy that ordered it in 77 then when he traded it in on a new 81 she bought it the same day from the dealer, then gave it to me when i turned 16 and its been mine ever since

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Looking good so far! I would throw some wheels/tires on there and just drive it. You already have the tunes so youre set.

Wish I woulda kept my 80 Monte from when I was 16.

Mach1Guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2008
Kingston Ontario
Good looking Monte, do you know where the dash cover came from. I've found a couple companies that are offering them but I am afraid of the fit. Yours looks like it fits pretty good.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Tony_SS said:
Looking good so far! I would throw some wheels/tires on there and just drive it. You already have the tunes so youre set.

lol, thanks. my plan right now is to just get some nice wheels and drive it for a while, and do the body in sections. the pictures dont show it, but its got hundreds on hail dents that id love to get rid of.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Mach1Guy said:
Good looking Monte, do you know where the dash cover came from. I've found a couple companies that are offering them but I am afraid of the fit. Yours looks like it fits pretty good.

ha, i have no idea where the dash cover came from. my mother bought it for my dad about 20 years ago before they got divorced (LOTS of family history in this beast. lol) but when i head to work ill look around and see if i can see a name stamped on it somewhere. maybe the company will still be in business. ;)

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
JDub said:
Tony_SS said:

lol, thanks. my plan right now is to just get some nice wheels and drive it for a while, and do the body in sections. the pictures dont show it, but its got hundreds on hail dents that id love to get rid of.

Open up a recent a recent Popular Hot Rodding and you'll see a feature 79 Camaro with a similar factory finish. Don't sweat it... that patina is stylin. 8)

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Tony_SS said:
[

Open up a recent a recent Popular Hot Rodding and you'll see a feature 79 Camaro with a similar factory finish. Don't sweat it... that patina is stylin. 8)

well i really appreciate the encouragement. im definitely going to need some motivation to keep me on track.

i know ive already asked you about this countless times, but i have another question for the backspace guru. lol. 17x9 and a 6" BS. maybe??

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Tony_SS said:
No that's way too much. 17x9 will need 4.5" of bs in the rear. You could prob get away with 5" of bs on a 9" rim, but no more than that.

okay, thanks for letting me know before i wasted a thousand bucks. lol. btw, is there a template or guide you use when figuring out what will fit? i dont mind asking you everytime i have a question, but if there is an easy way for me to figure it out on my own, i wouldnt mind knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor