Mecum H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My G-bodies are worth 15 million dollars. EACH!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I completely agree with you.

99% of the cars from the Muscle car Era ran 14's in Stock form. Stock Z28's ran HIGH 14's/low 15's stock. If a car ran 13's it was at a prepped track and it likely had slicks and mods. The '71 Boss 351 is the best example of Motor Trends BS (they ran a car with slicks and Headers - prepped by Hot Rod into the 13's but claimed it was stock). Stock '71 Boss 351's didn't run 13's.

Magazines like Motor Trend got paid big bucks in advertising/magazine sales if they put up big numbers. Carroll Shelby was basically paying for the article to put his cobra replica against other replicas. Dad's Cobra was probably as fast as Carroll's, but I was working and couldn't go to California to tell them they were full of sh*t and didn't know how to drive. The car was an easy 12 second car with street tires. I ran a best of 7.8 in the 1/8 the a couple months before the photo shoot (IRP wouldn't let us run 1/4 because it was a Kit Car shoot out and some of the cars were deemed unsafe) and it was consistent and super easy to launch.

When I was 14 my dad's friend gave me his collection of Hot Rod Magazines going back to about '68 because they were taking up space in his garage.

If stockish W31's ran anything near 12's in quarter mile, Hot Rod Magazine wouldn't have an article about a Twin Turbo Big Block '69 Chevelle that ran 12.9's. They did, Stockish W31's didn't.

Violent agreement is my favourite kind.

(I knew we were on the same page...)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mine is worth 100 Gozillion dollars. It's book value is what keeps our household afloat.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They added headers, shimmed the rockers arms, to get a couple of hundred more rpms and slicks to a new Ram Rod or W31, same thing, can't find the article. It ran 12.7's with those couple tweaks. Either way mid 14's stock, multiple sources. You can go down a Turkey trail with a car like a 80's GTA, the 305 cars especially had a dog reputation compared to the ugly, lighter Mustang. The 1/4 mile is anywhere from 14.3 to 15.3, most owners claiming high 14's bone stock. Motor Week pulled a much slower 14.2 out of a 89 TTA, than the usual mid 13's. I imagine they didn't spool up the Turbo.They also pulled low 15's from a GTA. I would trust their numbers as much as anyone, maybe more. The 80's cars are just as all over the place for 1/4 mile times compared to early cars and few remain stock as well for real comparison's.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you want to buy a stock G-body based on its quarter-mile performance- you're a dumbazz.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
They added headers, shimmed the rockers arms, to get a couple of hundred more rpms and slicks to a new Ram Rod or W31, same thing, can't find the article. It ran 12.7's with those couple tweaks.

When YOU run 12.s with a W31 and a "couple tweaks" get back to us..

W31's used stock 350 olds heads with not huge 2.00 Intake vales.

My '71 AMC SC360 Heads flowed better than W31 heads, both stock and ported in independent tests and it was rated @ 285 gross HP.

If someone is running 12's in a W31 he has ported the heads and lightened the car. And put headers on it, and Solid lifters. and 4.56 gears. Then told people those were "a few other tweaks".

Gross HP numbers are complete BS. I believe W31's made about 250-270 net HP based on a 4,000 lb car running 100 mph in the 1/4.

Gross Numbers have headers and no exhaust and don't even have an alternator and they definitely don't have a cooling fan.

Extrude hone wasn't invented until the late 1980's so any number left on the table were there for over 20 years.

If it was 1991 again, I would race a stock W31 for pinks all day in my stock '89 5.0L convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor