Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada

This was actually a local band that appeared in the late 60's. For some stupid reason they got classified as garage psychodelic which they weren't. Too bad they did not get picked up but the big music was already starting to shift to Disco (Insert major gagging/barfing sounds here) and regionals just weren't getting the promo they deserved; no indie labels or self sales back then much either.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada

Had these come up on my music radar; figured they might be worth sharing.

Nick

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nick where do you find this stuff? (y)
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)(y)(y)

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sometimes I would buy an album just because of the cool cover. Sometimes that didn't work out well. This one did!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sorry, Bonnewagon, I don't find them, more like they find me................😃

B-W, In terms of absolute productivity, I don't think any kind of whole earth catalogue of just exactly what is out there even exists . Most of this stuff came and went in a very brief amount of time, around 6 years to be more or less precise.

The parameters for it were 1966-1972, which is not a coincidence.

That brief era was a battleground for a lot of things. Generation fought generation for freedom of thought and word. Music waged war with itself over what was socially appropriate and morally acceptable. The military sought to suppress ideology that it considered subversive or defeatist. Religions decried the actions and attitudes of the masses as morally bankrupt and blasphemous from the pulpit. And internal unrest and social upheaval were rampant on many fronts.

The most confusing thing about music in the psychedelic era was how fleeting and ephemeral and transient it all really was. Musicians came together, created small bodies of work, cut records, and broke up again; kind of like one of those french court ball room dances pre revolution. The comments for several of the groups that I screened last night made a point of mentioning how many groups some of the players had been in. A substantial number of records were actually one hit wonders with no album or followup to bolster them.

The other point is that the Vietnam era, which directly overlaps most of the psychedelic era, played a large part in determining what music got air time and what got suppressed. The military considered contemporary music to be suspicious to the point of being subversive and went out of its way to restrict access to it by the troops and censor what did get allowed on the Military Radio,, Total tongue in cheek, but Robin Williams and "Good Morning, Vietnam" did address the issue from a semi-humorous perspective.

Just as a counterpoint to all this, as of right now, almost half or more of the total count of logged and catalogued urls in my Favorites Folder are for music. My MMPITA, Most Monumental Pain in the ***, is that Edge insists on dumping my catalogue folders because it wants to know what I am listening to so it can "guide" me.:blam:.

And of course stuff disappears because property rights get violated and then the admin steps in and pulls the link.

Plus which, of course, my taste in music is mostly in my tongue🤣

So, as I happen to come across them, and if they happen to appeal to me, then who knows what might show up as a url/link?

Nick

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree totally. I like stuff no one else likes and have taken a lot of ridicule for it. But if I learned anything in the 60's it was to do what I wanted and screw what anyone else thinks. For example-backstory to the Gandalf album. It sat forever in the record section of a big department store near me. I first read The Hobbit in 1967 because in high school you were given a book list to read over the Summer. I read the Hobbit, loved it, and the rest was history. But at that time if you did not read the book you knew nothing about Middle Earth and Gandalf. So Gandalf got no radio play, the name was unknown, and it was a week away from hitting the $.99 bin. Then I heard a Gandalf song on WNEW FM, I think Scotso played it. Damn! So one night I skipped out on our Church's weekly high schooler indoctrination meeting, rode my paper route bike over to the store and bought it. It rained cats and dogs all the way home but I wrapped the record in my newspaper canvas pouch and it survived. This was Oct 1969. Man, my girlfriend at the time [now wifey] just loved that album and it became 'ours'. Not long ago I was looking at a record collection site. It listed the rarest and most valuable records. And there it was- Gandalf. It seems they had a dispute with the record company, albums shipped with another group's record inside so not many survived, a Gandalf cult following grew, and the record became ultra- rare and collectable. At the time it was valued over $1000! I would never part with it.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor